RE: O/T: Grassology

Here in SoCal, my favorite huckster, Bob Villa, has been pitching "Grassology".

Basically a water hose powered grass seed broadcaster.

The grass seed mixture contains some rye, some fescue, and some Kentucky Blue, AKA: basic starter grass.

No Merion, no Windsor, just Kentucky Blue.

Don't remember if any fertilizer is included.

Villa extols the superiority of his "sheep dip", and the ability of it's root structure to penetrate deeper than conventional grass seed into the soil.

IOW, he claims that his "sheep dip" will do a better job of penetrating the hard clay and rock commonly known as sub soil.

Maybe.

What makes this so funny is that SoCal is basically a paved desert, so grass is the last thing needed here.

Matter of fact, the DWP (Department of Water and Power) has an ongoing program to pay it's customers a rebate for every square foot of grass that is removed and replaced with drought tolerant desert landscaping.

Just another example of let the buyer beware IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well there is a sucker born every minute. The product application method does work well BTY. In the surrounding counties here, the drainage ditches are sprayed using this technique right on top of our top soil/clay.

Reply to
Leon

-------------------------------------------- No question this is a viable commercial application.

But using a water gun from the bed of a pick-up to broadcast seed for planting is a whole different animal compared to Grassology.

This is the old game of 2 for the price of 1 plus double shipping and handling.

Straight forward gotcha.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:537d3d39$0$17124$c3e8da3 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Yep, works great. That's how the Indiana DOT re-seeds the highway medians and shoulders after completing a construction project. [...]

And you apparently think that they're not advertising the same product anywhere else. Have you never heard of a national advertising campaign? News flash, Lew: most of the United States is not "a paved desert".

No, what this *really* is, is just another example of a Southern Californian under the delusion that the world revolves around Southern California, or that anyone in the rest of the United States gives a s**t about Southern California. If Los Angeles disappeared tomorrow, the only people in most of the Midwest who would even *notice*, let alone care, are those who have family or friends there.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I see now that is is simply a variety of grass seeds mixed together so that hopefully one or more will survive in the climate that it is being used in.

Your mentioning,

Basically a water hose powered grass seed broadcaster.

Let me to think commercially applied by spray from a dedicated vehicle.

Reply to
Leon

Bob Villa is just a horses ASS. I have no respect for him.

But that's my opinion. If he's hawking it, I run the other way.

Reply to
woodchucker

------------------------------------------------- You've got company.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------- "Doug Miller" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Since when did you cheap skates in Indiana spend any money on roads?

Or is it the federal portion they are spending?

As far back as I can remember, sometime around the end of WWII, Indiana has had 2nd class roads and has not done much to correct the problem.

The condition of Indiana roads are a running joke with my Hoosier relatives.

------------------------------------------------------------------- "Doug Miller" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- For once try to read and understand before you shoot your mouth off.

These days advertising campaigns are targeted to specific markets.

Directing your advertising $ to a market of 18+million that basically has no use for your product is not only expensive but wasteful.

----------------------------------------------------------- Jealousy, night and day you torture me.

When you get your head out of your rear end, you'll have a better outlook on life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

ROFL ... only thing more poetic would be if Bloomberg were imprisoned there.

Reply to
Swingman

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:537e11e8$0$22018$c3e8da3 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Jealous of *what*, Lew? The gas prices and wildfires you piss and moan about all the time? Or the massive burden of regulation and debt the entire state is sinking under? The earthquakes? The hour-long commutes? The water shortages?

Like I said... you're just another SoCal-ian under the delusion that the rest of the world cares about SoCal. There's nothing in SoCal to be jealous *of*, Lew. I've been there. Once. Didn't see any reason to go back, either.

Reply to
Doug Miller

[...]

I looked up on Amazon. They sell it. Looked at reviews. ALL bad. Check this out if you want. I was ready to order it until I read the reviews. WW

Reply to
WW

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------- "Doug Miller" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- Two things still remain obvious.

You're clueless about California and the roads in Indiana for the most part still suck.

After the interstates, the roads are a joke.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------------- You've got company.

Lew

Bob Villa knows nothing about the product. He reads the script and gets his check. Check out the reviews on Amazon ....Worthless crap. WW

Reply to
WW

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

----------------------------------------------- "WW" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- Now you know why I started this thread as follows:

(Here in SoCal, my favorite huckster, Bob Villa, has been pitching "Grassology").

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When it disappeared? Yeah, you have my vote. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Lew,

You must not be aware of the "Major Moves" program in Indiana:

Neil

Reply to
Neil Ward

California has some real sweet roads. I-40 comes to mind. 99 tore two tires off my 5th wheel. Yup, California roads are the best (not). Talk about a joke!

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Neil Ward wrote in news: _JGdnXTqdal9VOPOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Lew isn't aware of anything that goes on outside of Southern California.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yet you, having visited Southern California once, are an expert on it?

To correct just one of your misapprehensions, California currently has a budget surplus.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Every state in the country has both good and bad roads. Why this pissing contest and state-hatred?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal