RE: O/T: Garlic

Page 1 of 2
Look at the ingredient's list of things I cook and right after bacon, which is in first place, you will find garlic.
That's NBD, except peeling a clove of garlic is totally a PITA.
The other night was watching one of these cooking shows when suddenly the chef offered a tip to peel garlic cloves.
Place the cloves in a cup of water and then nuke the cup of water for a few seconds.
Remove the cloves from the water and peel.
Decided to try it. It works. The only thing to determine was how long to nuke the cloves.
90 seconds seems to be about right; however, the cloves are softened a little.
Don't know if this is a problem or not, but cloves harden as they cool.
The process works for me, YMMV.
Lew
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:09:27 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Markem wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

The old smack the clove with the flat side of something has certainly been around forever; however, it has it's drawbacks.
Your fingers and the husks end up being sticky and the husks are scattered all over the cutting board.
The hot water technique while not the answer to a maiden's prayer, avoids those problems.
It worked for me, YMMV
Lew

Too much epoxy. :-)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Mine are all in the 1 out of 10 group.
No class, just a mess.
Lew
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 6:59:06 PM UTC-4, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Millions of people peeling garlic with the side of a knife for probably hundreds of years. My guess is the process is sound.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Bill" wrote:

DerbyDad03 uses the same 5 Star, JA Henckels, 10" Chef Knife I do.
Lew
On 6/7/2015 9:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I use this......
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/garlic-peeler/s114590?b=1&a 52&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-tSrBRCk8bzDiO__gbwBEiQAk-D31aXaXkJ4UV38IUvu66hbvApqOPwUAUP6HfcCDk0tu48aAuip8P8HAQ
Put a clove in, roll it with a bit of pressure, the clove comes out skin free. I never have a problem

Here's another one ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?pC804&cat=2,40733,44734,43804
John T.
--- ---
On 6/8/2015 10:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Those appear to be throwaway sheets. If so, I'd rather have a tool that can be washed after use.

Nope - not a throw-away at all. .. at $ 5.50 it should last a long long time. John T.
--- ---
On 6/7/2015 8:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

squeeze the handles. You get finely extruded garlic meat less the peel.
Many varities
(Amazon.com product link shortened)89&creative25&creativeASIN0ITQ930U&linkCode=as2&tag=pk004-adwords-20&linkId=KMMQ4EU7G77BCSED
Leon wrote:

--
GW Ross

Real women don't deflate when you bite
On 6/8/2015 9:46 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Why buy? One of the give away items I've accumulated is a thin rubber jar opener that does the same thing. Wrap and roll
Smashing with the side of a knife works well too. You just pull out the peel.
On 6/8/2015 8:46 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Does it mince the meat?

On 6/8/2015 9:10 AM, Leon wrote:

I've got one of those - a gift I think - but I was not aware you could put un-peeled cloves in it. I'll have to try it. When I cook, the amount of garlic I use is generally controlled by how many cloves I can prepare before I get tired. :)
On 6/8/2015 8:55 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Absolutely, put the whole thing in and press. It is a 3 second operation from dropping it in, to it being in the container and minced.
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:10:30 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

On page 123 of his Les Halles Cookbook, Anthony Bourdain says "If you use a garlic press, you shall surely burn in hell."
I've tried them. Too much waste and clean-up for me. I usually have the knife and cutting board out already, so I just smash and chop. Even if I nothing else to chop, there's no waste and clean-up is pretty simple.
A quick google search indicates that most professional chefs don't use a garlic press.
This guy did a little experiment using a press vs. mincing by hand. Interesting results. Obviously it's an extremely small sample size (1 clove!) so the inconclusive results don't carry much weight for either side of the argument.
http://www.finecooking.com/item/11365/garlic-to-press-or-not-to-press
On 6/8/2015 9:19 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

proficient and don't have to think about what you are doing to accomplish this task, perhaps so. I watch my wife use hers and it goes very fast and faster than I would know how to use it.
Which reminds me about the Aggie that returned his chain saw to the dealer complaining that it only cut down 10 trees a day. The dealer pulled the cord on the saw to start it and the customer was shocked that it had a motor. ;!)