RE: O/T: Forgotten Cleveland

Found this strictly by accident.
http://tinyurl.com/mwyxmzl
Spent a lot of years in Metro Cleveland.
Starting with the riots in 1966, the area started it's slippery slide.
It is a great city, it's just the weather.
it's going to take a lot of hard work to bring it back.
Lew
On 12/25/13, 5:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Interestingly, many of those 40 images are not from Cleveland. Those that are are from the same buildings, in the same general location on the near east side-- an area that has been slated for a major redevelopment, IIRC.
This is not to say the city isn't in rough shape, just not nearly as severe as this photographer would lead one to believe. I was downtown and through that area last month and there are blocks that look like that and some of the already low value neighborhoods got hit pretty hard by the real estate bubble burst.
You want to see a city that looks like a war-torn 3rd world nation, go to Detroit.
--

-MIKE-

Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- "-MIKE-" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- Are you referring to the Hough area?
If so, it got wiped out in the 1966 riots.
Start at Superior road hill and drive down Superior to East 9th street.
It was never rebuilt.
Lew
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 15:30:08 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

It's *not* just the weather (we lived in Akron for a year).

It won't come back until it's completely gone. Politics won't let it until there are no politicians left.
On 12/26/2013 12:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Liberal/progressive policy collapse in full stride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzo9lCBYzA4

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I watched the video. Please include some editorial comments. Is it that the liberal party feels let down by the teaparty-ers?
On 12/26/2013 5:24 PM, Bill wrote:

Really? Go back and watch it again.
It's black folks, finally beginning to realize they have been led to blame "whitey" for their problems, when it has been the liberal politicians and their social policies, and the race baiters like Jesse and Al, who have not been acting in their best (black's) interests.
We/they are finally waking up to the fact they have just traded "masters" and sold down the river once again.
Sadder still, is that it has to be explained ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I was impressed by their solidarity and concern for their communities. I thought maybe they were referring to the president. I guess it sort of like ink-blots.
Swingman wrote:

No one has to persuade me to by disappointed by politics. Offer me some solutions and I'll provide you with my support.
Bill
On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 12:12:20 -0600, Gordon Shumway

Very telling how you don't hesitate to use the same names that you criticize Lew for using.
On 12/26/2013 5:32 PM, Swingman wrote:

???
I like the last question, HOW DUMB CAN YOU BE?
I would ask that of every voter.. seems like everyone keeps voting in the same assholes. so nothing changes.
So we Americans are all as dumb as that. I vote the incumbent out, I vote an independent.. get rid of the two party system... (STATUS QUO)
you want to fix America, stop the massive handouts. Make people take menial positions to put bread on the table.
Too many are just sitting on their asses for years on end... notice how big some peoples asses are.. it's from years of doing nothing.
--
Jeff

"A statement of the obvious is simply that and does not promote any particular political agenda"
"Let's pass it so we can see what is in it." Another statement of the obvio us that is good for all in the US. Not meant to promote any particular politic al agenda. Why would anyone want to halt such fine points of governing?
To stick some woodworking content in here, I will tell you I picked up a Ba iley #8 corrugated bottom with the box at an estate sale for $35. Plane was unused. There were at one point over 200 planes for sale in this gent's co llection. No wonder it was never used. Wife said it was plain crazy to have that many. Was that her attempt at plane humor?