RE: O/T: Dodged A Bullet

Just because someone stores your information somewhere in the "cloud" doesn't mean you should compound the problem by volunteering to store more on another server with unknown/suspect security. Maybe you want to post your SSN & DOB here? ;-)

Well actually me backing up to the cloud probably only adds maybe 2% more of the same info that is already out there, probably not that much. And as far as storing on an unknown/suspect security location, it is already 98% in that situation by those that have the information already.
Maybe you want

464-19-7262 09/27/1954 What can you do with that? FWIW it is scrambled just like it is when I upload it. ;~)
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:06:34 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

The drives can shut down, but only if you've gone into the Power configuration and told it to. Depending on what you use the computerfor, the "no activity" timeouts can range from a couple of minutes for the monitor and the hard drive(s) to whatever you need - when I'm downloading new maps for the GPS, I set the drive timeout for several hours because it's s-l-o-w.
I'm currently testing some solid state drives (SSD) for durability. One is in a laptop that's on 24/7 (network monitor), so I'll get an actual "in use" lifetime for it. Another will be the primary drive foir a desktop that's also on most of the time. The biggest improvement is in drive access - booting the laptop takes about half as long as with the original drive.
On 12/28/2014 08:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

These two programs - one for Mac, one for PC - will save yer hide when used with an external USB drive. They are free for home use (but you must buy them if using them commercially):
For PC: Macrium Reflect Free Edition
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
Don't forget to create a recovery boot disk when you first install this product.
For Mac: SuperDuper
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
This will image your internal Mac drive to an external drive in one of several ways. I prefer to clone the internal drive so that - if it borks - I just plug in the external image and boot from that instead.
For Linux I do something more command-line-ish but it works rather well:
http://www.tundraware.com/TechnicalNotes/Baremetal/
Oh, and people who do not backup their stuff regularly should be charged 10x the normal shop rates for recovery ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim Daneliuk snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 22:06:52 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Because something exists doesn't mean more of it is better.

Stop complaining. My upload is normally 80K (~1.5M down).
"Bill" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- I've had a 1GB external HD collecting dust for at least a year waiting for me to spring for the software I want to run it.
A little late, but better late than never is where I'm at now.
I still run a lot of DOS based programs and am able to insert an copy command line in the file that copies everything in the directory to a 2GB flash drive plugged into front of case.
It's the important stuff but does not include e-mail files.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I haven't looked, but you might check whether SourceForge.org has some (free) software which would you may find usable. It's my "most-trusted" source.

I wrote:

------------------------------------------------ It's been so long I forgot how I had set it up but it is as follows:
Turn off monitor after 30 minutes.
Turn off hard drive after 30 minutes.
System Standby after 1 hour.
System hybernate after 2 hours.
Lew
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:04:04 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Well, all the new computers are using SATA drives. So while our IDE and EIDE drives aren't quite useless yet, it won't be long until they are :-)