RE: O/T: Dodged A Bullet

Page 1 of 3
My Hard Drive crapped out; however,dodged a bullet, and have recovered.
My Geek is located kitty cornered across the parking lot which is about a solid 7 iron.
Was on puter Saturday afternoon (12/27/14) when suddenly "BANG", a mechanical groan and the monitor goes dark.
Windows XP attempts to restart but with no avail.
Unplug all cables from the case, throw case on my shoulder and start walking toward the geek.
Geek plugs cables into case and begins running chkdsk.
It's now about 6:00 PM and it is obvious these diagnostics are going to take awhile, so geek says he will call me.
I'm in choke city since almost everything including the phones (Magic Jack) is handled on the puter.
I get a call from geek about 12:00 PM on Sunday (12/28/14) saying that the hard drive needs to be replaced, the existing data needs to be recovered then loaded into new drive.
He quotes a price and if I accept, he can be finished by 3:00 PM.
Such a deal, let me know when you are done and the case is ready for pick up.
I had a bucket full of rabbit's feet this weekend and used them all today starting with the fact that the geek gave up his Saturday evening and all day Sunday to repair my puter.
Normally they close at 5:00 PM on Saturday and are closed all day Sunday.
Now for the luck.
The geek was able to recover ALL my data including programs.
I had the same thing happen in 1994 when I left the puter on 24/7 since I was using puter as a FAX.
Was told that the failure in 1994 was due to running hard drive on a continuous duty cycle and that technology had changed and when the new puter would be in idle mode the hard drive would also be at idle.
Turns out that is not true.
When the puter is in idle mode, the hard drive is still spinning, so plan accordingly.
SFWIW, the drive that just died was placed in service in 05/08 and died 12/14, or 6-1/2 years .
Not all that time was spent with puter on; however, 15-18 hours/day would be more typical.
As this day closes, am back up and running and consider myself to be very lucky.
Lew
On 12/28/2014 8:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Likely had recalled parts on the drive motherboard. Happens. Industry is often driven into dangerous deals. Sale price of those was so marginal due to other companies - fractions of a cent adds up.
I lost a powersupply to the computer with a cap that should not have been used in a switcher. Quality of our computers is sliding down. Sad to say. I would not doubt that some manufacturers plan on 5-6 year life cycles to keep business going. Force us into 'cloud' crap and usb disk drives at best.
Martin
On 12/28/2014 10:56 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Backup backup backup...
With XP I used ghost. Now with win7 I use MS backup.
And that works, but make sure you get all patches for it.
--
Jeff

Lew Hodgett wrote:

It takes less than 2 minutes to backup everything to an external hard drive ($70, these days?) once a week. Then you don't have to be lucky. I know some people are using the cloud. I'm not sure whether they are smarter than me or not. I know an Apple user who pays about $70/yr for backup (and perhaps other services). I figure I'm ahead of him, at least.
On 12/28/2014 10:18 PM, Bill wrote:

I used to back up on an external, and then it began making my computer crash and act weird when the drive began to fail.
If you back up to an external to save your data in the event you computer crashes that works. In the event some one breaks in and steals your computer or you house burns down, the cloud works better.
I pay about $30 a year for 1TB, when I signed up it was for 300Gig. This cloud works similar to normal back ups, you can delete old data selectively from the cloud and cut back on what you have used.
FWIW I use iDrive.
On 12/29/2014 9:39 AM, Leon wrote:

No one is getting my data. No cloud period.
Now for that service you need a fast upload speed. I have 400k up. That's just never going to do it.
--
Jeff

On 12/29/2014 10:33 PM, woodchucker wrote:

FWIW IDrive will send you an externally HD for you to back up to and to return to them. And visa versa should you need to restore every thing. I chose to simply use the internet and 4 days of round the clock backing up and I was done. Now anytime any file is created or changes it is instantly backed up.
Leon wrote:

You could also put a couple of DVDs in your safety deposit box, or anywhere else that is not in the same building -- like in a secret hiding place in your desk at work. That was part of the "security manual" of the 70's. Don't store your backup in the same building!

Bill wrote:

I mentioned that to a college IT manager once, and she just looked at me incredulously (as if, where do you expect me to put them?)
On 12/29/2014 11:06 PM, Bill wrote:

Absolutely and the "sensitive" data that I want to protect the most gets handled differently. All the rest goes to the cloud for extremely easy recovery should I do something stupid.
On 12/28/2014 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:

2 minutes? Not in my book. It takes a from few minutes to a few hours to get a delta. Never 2 minutes.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

I've got two 80 GB SDD backing up to eSata external drive. It almost always only does incremental changes. YMMV.
I bought an Intel (730) 500 GB SSD for $199 over the holidays, which didn't seem so bad since the 1st 80 GB SSD was $229, which was "cheap" for it at the time and I think the 2nd one i added was $120. My wife will take them over. My PC from 1997 had a 6.4 GB HDD, but I never used much more than about a half of it!
BTW, there is only one new motherboard I found that supports eSata still (and it was "silly" high-end). So, I either will need to use the external in USB 2.0 mode (never tried it), or upgrade the external drive to USB 3.0--which I expert will give about the same level of performance at the eSata.

woodchucker wrote:

Jeff, I added a lot of files this week (probably at least 9GB, far more than usual), and I just did the backup and timed it for you: 6 min. 50 sec. Not as good as I said above, but far from a few hours. It typically takes just a few minutes, I think.
If you don't have tons of files (like videos), SSD is not such a bad deal. And if you have tons of videos, then they may live just fine on a separate conventional drive. All SSDs are not created equal. I've had good luck with Intel. It's my understanding that to get excellent performance out of the lastest drives, one needs a motherboard with one of the more modern chipsets (like z97, not z87). I'm no hardware guru, I've learned most of what I know from Tomshardware.com
If you want to put windows on a new hard drive, you probably would need to buy a Windows (OEM) disk for $100-140 too. So, depending on the age of your system, it may make sense to build it into your next one. I have 3 more parts to order before I can build my next one. Not including external stuff (like mice), my new computer will be made from 11 parts. It could have been done with 9. But clearly its not as complicated as making something like lassagya (which I don't know how to do....) I should remedy that! ;)
Cheers, Bill

We use two externals for backup. About a year ago we bought a Western Digi tal Passport that backs up data as you create or update it. It also gives you the option to save previous versions of a document and I currently have the software set to maintain the last five versions (Overkill, I know). B ut I write quite a bit and the current version isn't always my best thinkin g. We bought the drive at Sam's for around $65 and it seems like a great i nvestment.
Second level of backup is in our safe deposit box a few blocks from here. It is an older Seagate unit; and we bring it home every 4-6 weeks and back up everything. That is our 'tornado/house burns down' protection.
RonB
On 1/1/2015 12:43 PM, RonB wrote:

I like to do that myself, with both budget files for jobs (particularly those shared on DropBox), and with various versions of drawings and Sketchup Files as they evolve.
This thread made me think about picking another usb 1TB, as the old one is going on 5 years old.
Going to look for a WD model that comes with that particular software.
Thanks for the heads-up ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:08:15 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

d I currently have the software set to maintain the last five versions (Ove rkill, I know). But I write quite a bit and the current version isn't alwa ys my best thinking.

The drive here on my desktop is a Western Digital P/N WDBBEP0010BBK-01. As I think about it, we have had it a bit more than one year. Probably bough t at Sam's Club in mid 2013. I checked reviews on it while we were in the store and folks who owned it seemed pleased.
RonB
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:06:34 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

That depends how you have the power settings in windows set. You can power the drive down after a set time of not being accessed, as well as shutting off the monitor, and even powering down the processor, or hibernate it.

My last computer ran 24/7 for almost 10 years without any drive failure. That was Windows 98 upgraded to XP. Just upgraded ton a brand new Win7 machine and it runs 24/7 as well (but this one has WS Red hard drives - old one was IBM DTTA 351290 dated Dec 98 , made in Hungary, of all places!!!) My experience has been running 24/7 can often last longer than being shut down and restarted as the bearings don't flatspot and stick on restart. That addresses the mechanical failures - but not the electronic failures - where power surges from start-up can also shorten the life of the drive. My computer is on a Powerware Prestige dual conversion UPS so it gets perfectly clean power all the time.

On 12/28/14, 10:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

At my work we deal with multiple petabytes (1000 terabytes) of HD storage. I'm always probing the DM people about which drives they use and the current 'go-to' drive seems to be the WD yellows. This does change every few years as some other drive maker figures out a new trick for longer life.
-BR
--- ---
On 12/28/2014 8:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I save my data on another internal HD and my OS is on a SSHD, Data on HD backed up immediately to the cloud.

What he said. You can get a terabyte drive for under $100, and most of them come with backup software pre-installed.
In my case, I have two external drives - I keep all my data files on one (the computer drive just has the OS and applications), and I periodically just copy all the data files to the other.

I do not trust the cloud for that purpose - too many pieces in the line (servers, network, etc) which might fail at an inconvenient time. To me the cloud is for collaboration - stuff I want other people to have access to - not backup storage.
Plus in the case of Apple I would not trust them not to make my data inaccessible to me if I haven't upgraded to the newest version of their product/OS.
John