RE: O/T: DAMN CIGARTTES

A couple of weeks after the warning labels were put on the packs. sales of cigarettes dropped by 90% and people just stopped smoking, no one else ever started. Nearly impossible to find a place selling smokes today. It was a great idea!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Are you living in a world different than than the one I am in or is the above just wishful thinking?

From what I have read, a bit over 40% of the US population smoked in 1965, just under 20% now which is about what it was in the 20s. And it isn't hard to find cigarette vendors.

Reply to
dadiOH

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:lvpi3g$fkm$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Well, it's kind of splitting hairs, but I think that, if someone becomes addicted to nicotine, it's physical. But not everyone that tries smoking becomes addicted. I recall a co-worker who smoked precisely two cigarettes per day, one after lunch and one driving home at the end of the day. If he was addicted to anything, it was routine, not cigarettes.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

To some degree, yes. To some degree everyone is different. Some have very serious addiction to such things. Some will become addicted to just about anything, as you allude. AIUI, the endorphin connection to food is connected through insulin, also a very potent hormone.

No, not really. Endorphin addiction is as real, and very similar to heroin addiction, for example.

There are many dietary professionals who will disagree with you.

Reply to
krw

Teenagers not listening to their parents is nothing new. The fact is that this information *was* in the general populations for at least decades before the Surgeon General's report. Parents *were* warning their children of the dangers and even forbidding smoking. I know. Mine were (in the 50s and 60s) and theirs were three decades before that.

That's a completely different issue. The fact is that it was known to be a dangerous habit and people *chose* to do it anyway.

Reply to
krw

I think he intended his remarks as *sarcasm*. :)

Reply to
Bill

Oh.

Never mind.

Reply to
dadiOH

OK, I think you described it better than I did. For example, I quit smoking a carton or more a week after I had a heart attack 17 years ago. Only problem I recall was the habit of reaching for my shirt pocket every time I picked up a cup of coffee :-). But one might consider a heart attack more motivation than most people have.

After that I limited myself to one cigar a month for 10 years - had no problem sticking to that although I did allow an extra on my birthday. After that, when I reached 70, I decided I could allow one a week with no major downside - still sticking to that but I may give up that pleasure if the prices keep going up.

A little arithmetic shows that when I was smoking that carton plus, my lungs were inhaling smoke 20%-25% of the time. In comparison, my weekly cigar works out to 0.03% of the time. Not a major source of contaminants.

Believe me, I'm not touting smoking. If you don't, don't start. If you do, quit. Most people *do* get addicted so don't try my process unless you're sure you're not.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

At two a day, it is possible he was not addicted (did he ever stop for a while?) and lung damage was minimal. Most of us could not do it that way though.

I know a couple of people that did quit the pack a day habit and after not smoking for a number of years decided to have just one. They were immediately back to their old habit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

DOH!

The fact is

BS

Parents *were* warning

Well no shit~! That is exactly what I have been saying all along.

Teenagers ignoring the warnings whether the warnings were as serious then as they are today.

Reply to
Leon

It's *not* BS. "Cancer sticks" and "coffin nails" were part of the lexicon in the 40s and 50s, if not before. People *knew* cigarettes caused death.

Fact. Perhaps yours didn't. Sue them. ;-)

The warnings were just a serious though perhaps the government didn't constantly nag us. The information (that tobacco caused illness and death) has been generally known for at least a couple of centuries.

Reply to
krw

------------------------------------------------ Had forgotton about a friend who has a friend with stage 4 lung cancer and has never smoked a day in her life of 70+ years.

As this is being typed, have been told hospice has arrived at her door step.

When your time comes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My father never smoked, lived most of his life in clean air, drank little, in short he was a Midwestern businessman who died of lung cancer at age 83. Me? I smoked cigarettes and pipes for 30 years, drank like a fish, and at age 75, have clear lungs, liver, and other viscera. What does this prove? It proves to be somewhat puzzling but nothing else. Whatever it is, I am grateful.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

;~) It proves that you have not yet lived to be as old as your dad yet.

Reply to
Leon

It proves there is always an exception. If you look at hundreds or thousands of cases, the correlation is there.

May you outlive your father by a couple of decades.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And if you grew up in the midwest,you probably had a coal furnace in a neighborhood full of coal furnaces - I can still remember the fumes :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Remember the black when you blew your nose? :(

Reply to
dadiOH

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

As had been said before, "When it is your time".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sorry, Lew...