RE: O/T: DAMN CIGARTTES

Page 2 of 3

I quit when I was twentyfive. That was thirty years ago. I can distinctly remember being in the backyard of my house and realizing that I was tired of the smelly fingers, sore throat and bad taste in my mouth.
After ten years of smoking it was actually quite easy for me to quit. People that I've told about my quitting frequently say that I wasn't addicted to tobacco of I quit so easily

Oh, good grief. Cigarettes were called "coffin nails" and "cancer sticks" in the '40s and '50s, maybe earlier. The Surgeon General's warnings on cigarette packs started in 1966. That's 48 years ago. I'm 62 and can't remember a time when it wasn't a topic that wasn't in the forefront of the public conscience. Both grandfathers died from smoking and none after smoked. No, smoking causing death is not a recent revelation.

And "Cigarette Smoking May be Hazardous to Your Health" was printed in bold lettering on every pack. Life (and death) is about choice. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Like I said, if you are 60 or older the warnings were not there and not nearly the available evidence that there is today. For that matter coffee was considered and frowned upon for kids too. Similar hazards, stunted growth, developmental hazards. Darn fewer young adults smoke today than they did 45~50 years ago and the is mainly because of the more publicized studies.
Do you eat fast food or drink alcohol? Shame on you?

Tell that to a thirteen year old in 1966.
It was eventually printed on every pack but not before the mid 60's. My mother smoked and it was a topic that was talked about when the "May" be hazardous to your health label was added. It was not totally unlike the warning labels on gasoline pumps warning about leaded fuel being a hazard to your health.

Baloney. As I said, I just turned 62 and the warnings have been around a lot longer than I have. My parents would have been 100 recently, and enough dangers of smoking were around when they were kids to not go there. Their parents, perhaps not so much.

No, I don't much like fast food (I do enjoy full service restaurants, though) and gave up all alcohol almost ten years ago. ...but that doesn't mean I eat a perfect diet (not by a long shot).

My parents did. I didn't smoke, nor did any of my siblings. It *is* possible to fight marketing. Because someone didn't isn't the fault of the marketers. The warnings *were* there.

As I said, 1966 but the issue was known at *least* decades before that. It shouldn't have taken a warning from the government to convince people it was dangerous. It didn't.

$c3e8da3

Keith, you just reminded me all over again why I have you killfiled. Thanks, asshole, for your sensitivity and compassion.

No, and none of the events I related are recent, either. He was born in October 1948, started smoking around 1964, maybe earlier, I don't remember, was diagnosed with cancer in June 1996, and died in January 1997.
Of course you didn't know that, because I hadn't said so. But did you ask? Take the trouble to learn the facts next time before making more of ass of yourself than you already are.

There are those who would disagree with you. The issue is endorphins. Junk food, sugar, chocolate, and all, release endorphins (in a round-about way) and thus are *quite* addictive.

Mostly because professionals have their own cats to skin.
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:56:28 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

You certainly haven't changed. A conversation with anyone you disagree with is impossible. Please keep me killfiled. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself and you'll live longer.

Cigarettes were *WELL KNOWN* to cause cancer at least as far back as WWII.

You haven't stated any facts, only anecdotes.

Why don't you pick on coffee?
"Bill" wrote:

---------------------------------------- Early in my career was involved with dispensing equipment for Coca Cola.
Every time you walked into the lab, you walked right past a dispenser on test.
If you wanted a Coke, it was there for the taking.
Didn't take long to pick up 5 pounds I didn't need.
Took longer to take it off after stopping drinking that free Coke.
Today it's pretty easy to spot the Coke/Pepsi (sugar) sucking addicits.
They are the ones with an extra 30-50 pounds hanging on their hips and a quart cup with a straw sticking out of it they are sucking on as they walk down the street.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

But, were they given, or were they owed, a fair warning?

On 9/21/2014 10:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Exactly!

Sure, there's more evidence today, but the rest I've got to disagree with this. The scientific proof has been there. The evidence of thousands of years of smokers was there. Sixty years ago, or even six hundred years ago, autopsies were performed. Just as black lung disease was known for thousands of years, many of the deleterious effects of smoking has been known and proven for many thousands of years.
Maybe the proof hasn't been there on a microscope level, but it's still been very obvious.
On 9/21/2014 10:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Yes but as I have stated three times now, the young teenagers did not pay attention to "what the parents said". They still drank alcohol and smoked. I recall the only primary warning was that smoking was bad for you. And drinking alcohol, and holding your breath til you passed out, and drinking coffee, and something else that was sure to make you go blind. Since many of the warnings held no more weight than the next, again to a teenager, the fact that many of the warnings did not hold true sorta watered down the seriousness.
Simply stated, the possible side effects of smoking 50 years ago were not taken as seriously as they are today.
Leon wrote:

As the average life expectancy increases, effects and side effects of smoking become more obvious too.

--------------------------------------------------------------- The first Surgeon General's report outlining the hazards of tobacco that I remember was 1963.
The tobacco lobby spent a tidy sum suppressing it.
Warning labels came later.
Lew
On 9/22/2014 12:08 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

A couple of weeks after the warning labels were put on the packs. sales of cigarettes dropped by 90% and people just stopped smoking, no one else ever started. Nearly impossible to find a place selling smokes today. It was a great idea!
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:08:12 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

No argument there Lew. Public/Comerica admittance concerning the dangers of tobacco are a more recent thing. That doesn't for one second take away from the very obvious dangers attached to smoking for decades and centuries before that.
Update: That should read:
... 30-50 pounds/hip hanging on their hips...
60-100 pounds total.
Lew

Good trick as tobacco was unknown except in the western hemisphere until the Spanish took it back to Europe.

Six hundred years ago they didn't have a clue as to what caused disease. Leeuwenhoek didn't even discover microrganisms until the late 1600s.
--

dadiOH
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:16:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

If that is the main criteria, then most every pleasurable activity is addictive. Sex, roller coaster rides, playing with puppies,