RE: O/T: DAMN CIGARTTES

Page 1 of 3
My ex wife turned 77 the first week of August.
The first week of September she died in her sleep of congestive heart failure and COPD directly attributed to 50+ years of smoking.
She had finally quit smoking about 12 years ago.
Understand her health had been on the decline for some time, was on oxygen, and had been to see her doctor about 2-3 weeks ago.
He indicated that there was nothing else that doctors could do.
Best guess was that she might have 6 to18 months left.
She died 2 weeks later.
GOD DAMN TOBACCO.
I have never used any drugs other than alcohol and tobacco; however, I'm convinced that tobacco is the most addictive drug on the planet.
I stopped smoking cold turkey in Jan 1978. It was a bear to quit.
The most difficult thing I've ever done.
If you are still smoking in this day and age with all that is known about the harmful effects of smoking, stop and think about what is probably ahead for you.
It may just help you quit.
Off the stump until I see the next person smoking.
Lew
You're absolutely right on about how tough it is to quit. I quit 8 years a go when it was discovered I had a substantial blockage in my left carotid. Quitting a 40-year habit was a bitch. The docs did a roto-rooter on the ca rotid and haven't had any problems there since. However, I was diagnosed w ith a modest bit of emphysema this year. Nothing that's slowed me down, bu t sooner or later that likely will kill me.
It seems like we need to get slapped upside the head to learn anything in t his life, especially when we're young and immortal.
Larry
On Friday, September 19, 2014 7:43:13 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
[...]
Lew..you lost the wife at that age. Should have had many more years. I or my wife never smoked or consumed alcohol . My dad smoked for many years and had heart problems for many years before he died. WW
On 9/19/2014 7:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

My condolences, Lew.
I finally quit seven years ago. It was a pure-D bitch to quit after 30 some-odd years. I'm 65 now and have COPD problems, of course. But my wife pushes me out the door to exercise.
Of all the foolishness in this brave new world, I had to get PERMISSION from my doctor to join a gym!
Shakespeare had a good idea - "First we kill all the lawyers".

You have my sympathy. My father died of the same thing, altho he only made it to 73, after many years of very limited mobility. He too had been a heavy smoker for much of his life.
John
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:53:46 -0700, Gramps' shop wrote:

The addictiveness apparently varies. I quit 17 years ago after a minor heart attack and it wasn't very difficult. I did ask my cardiologist if I could have one cigar a month and after muttering he allowed that couldn't hurt me much :-). A friend of mine quit just because he got irritated at the price and also did it easily. Both of us had smoked since we were teens. I'm now 77 and he's 85.
But everyone else I know that quit had a heck of a time, just like you.

My condolences, Lew.
My older brother started smoking when he was about 16 or 17 -- unfiltered Lucky Strikes -- and continued until he was 46, when he finally quit. He was diagnosed with cancer about three months before his 48th birthday, and told he might have only six *weeks*. He held on for about seven months before he passed.

I couldn't agree more. And God damn the tobacco companies, too, for continuing to market this killer weed.
On 9/20/2014 4:21 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

little, in short he was a Midwestern businessman who died of lung cancer at age 83. Me? I smoked cigarettes and pipes for 30 years, drank like a fish, and at age 75, have clear lungs, liver, and other viscera. What does this prove? It proves to be somewhat puzzling but nothing else. Whatever it is, I am grateful.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
On 9/24/2014 7:52 AM, jo4hn wrote:

On 9/24/2014 8:52 AM, jo4hn wrote:

It proves there is always an exception. If you look at hundreds or thousands of cases, the correlation is there.
May you outlive your father by a couple of decades.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'm very sorry to learn of your loss, Lew.
Bill

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Bill" wrote:

My kids appreciate your thoughts about their Mom.
Lew
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

One thing is for certain, smoking is a self afflicted action that is known to bring on lung diseases.
Man controls whether he starts to smoke or walks away.
Lew
On 9/20/2014 11:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

This is, of course, completely true. But there can be more to it.
I started smoking in basic training - basically peer pressure to "be a man". The first puff did me in.
And in the generation before me, EVERYbody smoked - at least the men. Common cover for bad breath? But I've heard the cigarettes themselves were quite different then.
But now? Anyone who smokes is a damned fool. That's for sure and certain.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:21:54 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

How about "God damn your brother for poisoning himself"? It's no recent revelation that they cause cancer.

Well if you are 60 or older or would have been and began smoking as a teenager the hazards of smoking were not fully known and there were no warning labels.
In the mid 60's Winston's tasted good like a cigarette should. That was on TV and everything on the TV was the truth.

I think it was 64 or 65 that the Surgeon General's report defintively linked cigarette smoking and cancer. And a couple of years after that that warning labels and no TV ads were mandated.
But Doug makes a good point - from Joe Camel to the recent flood of fruit-flavored cigarettes (which were banned three or four years ago) the tobacco companies have gone out of their way to attract the young and impressionable.
John
On 9/21/2014 10:00 AM, John McCoy wrote:

And the same of it all is that one day most of the population will have the same thoughts about McDonalds going out of their way to attract the young and impressionable. I can almost guarantee you the McDonalds and like kind fast food restaurants will cut your lives short too.
Pick you poison!
On 9/21/2014 2:23 PM, Leon wrote:

At least fast food provides some nourishment and the offerings are a bit better than 20 years ago. They are also non-addictive and we can easily make choices. Once nicotine gets hold of you, it is very difficult to get away from it.

Not the specific hazards, no but even in the 40s cigarettes were frequently referred to as "coffin nails".
There is no doubt that they are not good for you but I'm firmly convinced there is a genetic factor to illnesses derived from them. This has nothing to do with tobacco but a good buddy died about 20 years ago of stomach cancer. He was in his early 60s. His three brothers also died in their early 60s of the same thing. Can't be coincidence, not in my mind.

Still is, isn't it? On the web too :)
--

dadiOH