RE: O/T: Are They Dumb Or What?

Page 2 of 3

Absolutely, that is why there is the GI bill. An aid to become a home owner.

What about that parent?

Absolutely and if having to work 2 or 3 jobs they perhaps already have a mortgage.

What about him?

Only if he is a property owner.

Any why idiots are electing idiots.

Perhaps if voters had more skin in the game they would be more demanding.

Sorry, can't at all subscribe to your opinion that property owners are the only ones that should be able to vote. Do you have any idea what would happen to your county if you enacted that type of legislation? You'd be in the middle of a full fledged civil war within a month. It's absolutely ludicrous to even think about it.

The fact remains that the founding fathers who set up a unique form of self government, democratic republic that unarguably vested more rights to more people than ever experienced before in human history, did indeed subscribe to that "opinion".
I don't like it anymore than you do, but history will prove that the right of "everyman" to vote without qualification was the first nail in the coffin of that unique democratic republic.
Pretty hard to argue, in the light of Detroit and Chicago, that we wouldn't all be better off if there was some responsibility attached to voting other than collecting a welfare check.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Can't argue with that at all. Only problem would be the inevitable uprising if anyone tried to retract any rights already given. Guess it's comparable to your gun lobby screaming every time someone tries to curtail their rights.
That's some big mess you have down there. Guess Canada's not too far removed from something similar, just not near as bad ~ yet.

Yep, that would be me ... ;)
Ostensibly I fought for those rights, but regardless, I indeed plan on fighting to keep them if necessary.

Arguably it is such a "big mess" for the very reason I was expounding upon. :(
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Actually with ever single new law, regardless of the country, some one or large group of people loose a right that they previously had. The problem with letting those with no skin in the game vote is that they most often have every thing to gain if the government increases taxes on the property owners and those involved in building the country. These voters typically do not pay as big of a price for government benefits as do the property owners.

Obviously, those that have nothing to loose would stir the pot it this was reinstated. Yes, it was this way at one time.
The whole idea is not to prevent people from voting so much as prevent those with no assets/permanent ties to loose from making decisions about those that do have investments/commitments that cannot be taken with them should they decide to leave the country.

Perhaps better yet, set up the voting so that you only vote on issues that affect the population segment you fall into and how you would be willing to pay for those changes. Obviously issues that affect every one would be open for vote by every one. Sorta of like city and state elections, you can't vote in cities and states that you have no affiliation with.
On 9/20/2013 1:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Please explain what "corporate America" and "ownership of a share of corporate America" means.
"Just Wondering" wrote:

Ownership of shares of a publically held US corporation would seem to qualify as having ownership of a share of corporate America.
Lew
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 00:53:51 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

What do you have against private corporations? ...or any other financial organization?
On 9/20/2013 9:04 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If your only skin in the game is the vote, you can be divided and pandered to, as we can clearly see.
One of the reasons the vote was originally setup as property owners only.
As they say, a democracy (which we're not) is two wolves and a lamb voting over what's for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see...."
"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford. "It is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in."
Douglas Adams, in So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish (1984) Ch. 36.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Ownership of stock is way too easy to get out of. Stock prices are obviously not dictated by the condition our society is on. I would prefer that the Mexican and Chinese citizens not be involved in our elections..

tests to vote. Because so many blacks were illiterate, those laws were stricken down as racist.
On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:10:45 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

At the time, I pointed out that that was equivalent to throwing out the baby with the dishwater. What we needed was a fair test, not no test.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

But then who would be blame for our stupidity?
On 9/20/2013 12:58 AM, Leon wrote:

And 50% of them are even dumber than that ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 9/20/2013 1:10 PM, Swingman wrote:

Only 1% of Americans...

And only millionaires because they are in politics.
On 9/20/2013 5:38 PM, Leon wrote:

incoming lawmakers $1,066,515.
The wealthiest member of congress is Representative Michael McCaul, Texas's 10th district, estimated net worth $500.1 mil.