RE: O/T: AP Gets Hacked

Page 1 of 2
The AP Tweet account get hacked, a phony tweet is sent before it is found and a correction can be issued in less than 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, the DOW JONES stock average has drops almost 20 points on the "bad news" before recovering with news of the correction.
And some people think they will be able protect their homes with their guns but mean while their pockets are getting picked clean by offshore interests.
You betcha, bring on those AR-15's and 30 round clips.
Lew
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:18:08 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Solution. We all get our AR-15's with 30 round clips and shoot the stockbrokers so they can't sell of stock.
says...

And then the bottoms fall out of the market.
phorbin wrote:

Who cares?
With enough AR-15s - and enough ammunition - all other things can be easily obtained.

I'm game.. we have to shoot the computers too since they did the trading.
A regular person barely has a chance these days.
Not at work, not at home, not with taxes, not with our Stupid congress men and woman who pick our bank accounts daily.
We the middle class, are doomed.
--
Jeff

The thing about financial markets is that they already super respond to ANY kind of news. Anywhere in the world. Markets are always jittery. Brokers and traders are jittery. That is the nature of the beast. With modern electronic communications, this only increases the speed and intensity of the response.
It was interesting how various "media" were coming out with "reports" of impending doom because of this little incident. The market "crashed" and "recovered" in about ten minutes. When is the last time you heard about a complete market recovery occurring in ten minutes? Yes, the digital media caused this little "crash". And just as quickly the digital media cause this "correction". Talk about a non event. And talk about about a bunch of hysterical media scum crating monsters out of nothing.
Wake me up when something interesting happens.
<rolls, over and goes back to sleep>
On 4/24/2013 7:42 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Exactly, and had the market gone much lower it would have closed automatically giving time to determine the reason.
On 4/24/2013 8:42 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Oh no, this was not a non event. If you happen to be in a fund where they sold off, you might have been lost a bunch of money, then recovered it back, but at a slightly higher price... it depends. The machines can react fast, but not in reverse of the order and price... Some people lost, some made out.
--
Jeff

On 4/24/2013 6:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:

What you are describing is a daily event, on paper some people lose money and some people make money every day. Add to that while the Dow dropped about 150 points, that was slightly over 1% and that alone was nothing out of the ordinary, that happens very often.
And typically mutual funds are not bought and sold during the same day rather they are bought and sold after the market closes. It is the day traders that took the ride. Mutual funds are not bought and sold like the day traders buy and sell individual stocks.

Part of my job is to work with computers and software that actually monitor the financial markets. Mostly for research and information services. I look at the markets every day. I can tell you that if a head of state somewhere gets a cold, it shows up in the markets. Almost every day (except Mondays) there are economic reports. At least a quarter of these economic reports affect market prices measurably. Every time a major company exceeds or doesn't make a projected profit for the quarter, it affects market prices. Every thing from European governments and banks to Chinese manufacturing production affect market prices.
There are financial news junkies. Every time they get any news of any kind, they affect market prices. One of the big things among active traders is to notice when a market moves takes place and try and figure out why. At 2:00 EST the S&P 500 jumped 8 points. Then they go looking on all the news channels to figure out what happened. Every little thing affects market prices. Most mornings at 8:30 EST, there is a report or two. The market can just yawn or jump up or down. Since most folks do not trade before 9:30 EST, it can greatly affect a position in the markets. And the European market can really drive prices, even though their volume is far beneath the US markets.
Market prices are driven by a lot of different things. Most of the time, the driving forces are not that exotic. The most important thing is how people feel, or react. Rumor and paranoia reigns supreme. A standard maxim for the markets is that all trades are driven by fear or greed. That is not far off. It is emotional and reactive. It doesn't take much to set off a run up or down. And it can occur at any time. As someone who works with this sort of thing, I can assure you that a ten minute, self correcting event has far less effect than events that occur almost every day.
One of the big complaints, by market insiders, is that the media is always trying to scare people. And since people are directly involved in buying and selling of securities, they get scared and the markets get volatile. A whole lot of market destabilizations comes from these fear mongers. As most intelligent people know, the media is absolute scum who will do anything for a story. And are not remotely concerned about the negative impacts of their BS. When you get right down to it, this event proves the market did it right. The big move down only took 2 or three minutes. 3 or 4 minutes later, it mostly recovered. 10 minutes later, every thing was normal again. Because the original event was a hoax.
How many other things in life resolve themselves in 10 minutes? From a market perspective this was a non event. From the outside looking in, not understanding how financial markets work, this may seem like a horrible event. I was out of the room fixing myself some lunch when it happened. I came in with my sandwich and said to myself, "What happened?" I went online to check it out. 10 - 15 minutes later, it was every where. AP's twitter was hacked. Google use went up big time right then.
Remember, all markets are news driven. Even if the news isn't true. It all balances out. That is the nature of all markets. Environmental influences, supply and demand, etc. all affect prices. That is why so many folks who work in the financial markets are news junkies. I am not much of a news junkie since I mostly work with the hardware and software. It was an interesting thing for me to look up when eating a sandwich. And regardless of the many chicken little "reports", it was a non event.
Thanks, Lee. Very interesting and informative piece you provided. Appreciate you taking the time...
Richard
On 4/24/2013 10:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:18:08 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

You are so predictable. I expected nothing less than a liberal response from you.

My AR wil come in handy when bleedin heart libs such as yourself that haven't prepared, come to my house to get my food and loot for whatever you think you need. Good luck to you

Yeah, but now that I know you have an AR, I'll come prepared with a Fusil Automatique Legere and cut you to shreds for your food.
Good luck to you.
"ChairMan" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------- Get back to me after you have lost all of your utilities for about 2 weeks.
Lew

I'm good for a least that much time if not longer. A 7000 w diesel generator helps a bunch How bout you, Lou? What have you done to prepare for what you think is going to happen? I know you don't have a gun, so whatcha going to do?

Right. Have you ever heard the statement, "There's always a bigger fish out there"? The noise of your diesel generator, if you really have one, would attract all sorts of unwanted attention to your property.
Do you actually believe that you and your litte arsenal of weapons could hold off a concerted attack if it came? You might be fine with the occasional one or two people coming around, but if an organized group of people wanted what you have, you're deluded in thinking you could stop them from taking it.

Depends where the property is. On 200 acres, I'm not too worried though. Besides, all you libs will be looting the cities first and killing each other off long before you get to me.

All true, but I will last longer than you and Lou. Plus, I'll take a few of MFers with me. Again, what are you and Lou going to do? Just roll over?

Well, people in my position wouldn't last very long anyway, whether there were looters on the doorstep or not. I consider myself a fighter by nature, but having a gun available in the case of serious anarchy, I'd probably be thinking about when it was a good time to kill myself.
"ChairMan" wrote:

You're right, who the hell cares about 40 miles South West of BumFuck?
Lay a couple of rounds over the bow ever couple of days and you will insure that anybody on the property will keep their heads down.
Lew