RE: O/T: Advance Planning

Over the weekend, received a letter from the chairman of our

60th anniversary high school class reunion, advising that the reunion will be from September 18-20, 2015.

More details to follow as they become available.

Talk about advance planning.

Maybe that's one of the reasons our reunions have been held every 5 years starting with the 10th and have had very good participation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well that and or no one's math skills, that look forward to attending, has deteriorated so much that they can't determine on their own that they should be expecting another reunion in 5 years. ;~)

There are going to be a lot of factors on participation. The less the class has spread out/relocated to other parts of the country over the decades the more likely the participation.

I recall my dad going to his 50th class reunion about 25 years ago, 7~8 showed up, and that was about 85% participation of the whole class. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

--------------------------------------------------------------- "Le> Well that and or no one's math skills, that look forward to

---------------------------------------------------- The reunion organizers have managed to keep in contact with most of the class.

Staying in contact has had a major impact on attendance over the years.

The 50th was the big one.

Had a live band and a large first time participation of classmates from California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey as well as the New England area.

Had about 80-90 attend which included spouses.

Since then (10 years ago) parents are gone and many have now down sized and moved to retirement homes in Florida and are not traveling as much as in prior years.

I'm sure health issues are now beginning to impact travel ability as well as cost and incontinence of air travel.

And of course father time has claimed a share, probably 25%-30%.

Will just have to see how things progress during the coming year.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or it *is* their 5th reunion and they can't count that high. ;-)/2

Our[*] 45th should be coming up soon (hmm, which year was that? ;-) but since we've never been to one, I highly doubt we'll bother this time either. I didn't much like high school, so see no reason to relive it.

[*] Wife and are were in the same class
Reply to
krw

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm, Freudian slip? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Have fun Lew!

Reply to
Leon

This is pretty much what I have heard from those that have gone a time or two. The ones that enjoy going year after year keep trying to be teenagers, with all that comes with that mindset. Most of us have matured past that stage in our lives.

Reply to
Leon

Less than half (30?) of our class reunites every 5 yrs. The others are "too far gone", anyway!

Most of us goers go to eat, bullshit, compare our stomach's bulge (compared to last time 'round), the guys discuss huntin & fishin, the girls probably conspire about no-tellin-what. We have fun, with each others company....two day event(s).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

----------------------------------------------------------------- Make that inconvenience of air travel, although incontinence probably fits in there somewhere.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------------------------- You have me committed and I haven't even thought about it, but thank you anyway.

When I put my mother in the ground, thought that would be my last trip back to Ohio, but who knows.

Guess the timing would be about right for one last unassisted trip back to Ohio.

After 50+ years of having my rear end jammed in the center seat of a 707, don't think I could face needing help getting onboard and in that center seat.

Air travel isn't what it used to be.

After 911, it's almost more work than it's worth.

Will just have to see what the coming year brings.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Don't know how long it'll take you to drive it or what your start/stop points are, but have you considered the train? Amtrak has a daily train (the Vermonter) from DC that makes 9 stops in Vermont and you can get to DC on a train from just about anywhere. Takes about 13 hours for the whole trip. See:

Larry Blanchard

Train travel is not what it use to in from the real part of the country. ie not the coastal cities.

In most of the country traveling by train is a joke. You may have to travel 50 miles to find a train station and when you do you may go hundreds of miles out of your way to reach your destination.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On 09/03/2014 3:24 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote: ...

And how is that any different than flying??? (And 50 mi would be right next door close, here...)

Reply to
dpb

...on a *very* good day.

OK, it's 13hrs to Washington, 13 hours from Washington to VT (Essex Junction would be good but I'd be dumped on the street, there), and another 12 hours overnight waiting in a train station in DC (not my cup-o-tea). 36hrs, vs. 4.5hrs, at about the same cost as a next-day airfare. I still don't know when I'm going.

Maybe Friday, maybe next Thursday (the next time I can get free). I also don't want to take four days off work. It would also be nice to drive it a bit to make sure it's fixed before I leave.

Reply to
krw

With 9 stops in VT, there isn't any sq.in. of the state that's 50mi. away. ;-) I used to live in Essex Junction (one of the stops) but there is nothing there. I'd be stuck on the street. There isn't even a station. The train just stops and lets people off on the street (and ties up all the traffic - there is a reason it's called "Essex Junction" ;-).

Reply to
krw

Sure, but a couple of points... I generally only travel by air for business. I rarely use air for personal travel. In fact, the reason the car is there was that we got in an accident when we were up there on vacation. ...by car. I'm only traveling by air because I have to get the car back here somehow and don't feel like taking another week to do it again. I don't know when, because now they can't get the damned airbag system working, after not being able to get parts. ...and the airbags did most of the damage.

Reply to
krw

What does the train charge for hauling the car back - might be cheaper, But the real cost is your body.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

May not be feasible, a passenger train trip from Houston to Hot Springs has several hours on a buss out of Houston. Although a freight train might go all the way in way or another.

Reply to
Leon

True, of course. One of the things that surprised me was the number of people that had stayed "close to home". I'd guess that at least a third had stayed in the same town; of the other 2/3, probably 80% were living within 200 miles (of their home town). AFAIK, I was the only one out of

350 that was living out of the country.
Reply to
dadiOH

West coast, yeah, we'd fly. ...unless it was a month-long vacation. I find the driving to be part of the vacation.

I'm sure that if we ever vacation in Hawaii, we'll fly. ;-)

Reply to
krw