RE: O/T: A Trip On The Train

Page 2 of 2

He's speaking of the law (passed during the Bush administration) that requires the states to cover most operating costs for Amtrak services other than the Northeast Corridor and the transcontinental trains. In Illinois, services to Carbondale, St Louis, Quincy, Moline, and Rockford/Dubuque are state funded.
In general, figuring out who pays for what between operating costs and capital costs for Amtrak is complicated.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

It's a parking space at a railroad station. Any reasonable person would assume that the person using it intends to do something involving trains. If there was an objection to using it for 30 days or whatever it would be signed accordingly.

If it's a line with commuter service, one might assume it would be used for only one day.
But you make a good point that it should be signed if there was a concern in that respect.
John
On 7/18/2015 10:45 AM, John McCoy wrote:

My wife has a placard and it does make parking easier. I really don't see the need to give long term free parking though. If you can afford a vacation, you can afford the parking.
Handicapped parking is a big help at times, but it is often abused.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ "John McCoy" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- The parking was included regardless so it was free in any event.
The handicapped parking ticket simply helped a bunch.
Lew

Had a staff meeting in SF in 1993 after which we arranged to board the Amtrak in Oakland and ride it up past Sacramento and on into the High Sierra terminating in Reno, NV. A beautiful ride once you get past Sacramento. No return trip; flew back to Houston.
Dave in SoTex
On 7/18/2015 3:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sounds like a good trip. I've been wanting to do something like that also. My train rides have been limited to 50 to 150 miles.

<snip>
Sitting together on a train were Pres. Obama, George W. Bush, a little old lady, and a young blonde girl with voluptuous breasts.
The train goes into a dark tunnel and a few seconds later There is the sound of a loud slap.
When the train emerges from the tunnel, Obama has a bright red hand print on his cheek.
No one speaks.
The old lady thinks: Obama must have groped the Blonde in the dark, and she slapped him.
The blonde girl thinks: Obama must have tried To grope me in the dark, but missed and fondled The old lady and she slapped him.
Obama thinks: Bush must have groped the blonde in the dark. She tried to slap him but missed and got me instead.
George Bush thinks: I can't wait for another tunnel, So I can slap the shit out of Obama again!!
On 7/18/2015 2:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Great story, Lew.
My favorite mode of transportation since a youngster riding alone to visit my grandparents for the summer, have ridden trains all over Europe, the UK, and in Australia.
Have never been on an Amtrak run train, mainly because to go North out of Houston since Amtrak you have to take a damned Amtrak bus to Dallas.
(right, Leon? LOL)
Although I could walk to NOLA almost as fast, might have to do the Sunset Limited one more time, though it wasn't Amtrak the last time I rode it ... that's how long it's been.
If you really like train travel and get a chance, read some Paul Theroux (start with The Old Patagonian Express).
Thanks for sharing.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Love watching trains go over the Huey P Long bridge (either of them). Hate driving over the Huey P Long bridge (either of them).
John
On 7/19/2015 11:14 AM, John McCoy wrote:

There are a couple of bridges that have a driving service for people that will not do it themselves. I did drive this in the rain the first trip and the metal grates when wet keep you slowed a bit.
http://tinyurl.com/o3h92fq or http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331679/Chesapeake-Bay-bridge-The-Maryland-bridge-terrifying-locals-pay-25-company-shuttle-car.html
says...

I've crossed it three times. The first I was a little kid and had read about it and was excited for a while until I realized that there was absolutely nothing interesting going on. The other two I was driving and the only road that tops it for boredom is the Pontchartrain Causeway.
says... >> There are a couple of bridges that have a driving service for people

What a weird looking bridge. It looks like the designer purposefully tried to use as many different styles of bridge (two designs of suspension, two types of truss, etc) as he could in one crossing.

I nominate I-70 across Kansas as tops for boredom.
John
"John McCoy" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- What you don't find rolling irrigation systems with Milo growing in the corners of the fields that don't get watered interesting along with at least one pizza manufacturing plant?<g>
Drive across Texas on a line from Austin thru San Angelo.
If you look North you have miles and miles of miles and miles with an occasional building.
If you look South you have miles and miles of miles and miles.
Lew

BTDT. It's actually quite pretty until you get to Llano, going thru the hills. More boring once it gets flat, altho the occasional ostrich farm or other oddity provides a little of interest.
Some day I'd like to find out why Goodyear put their test track in San Angelo.
John
On 07/20/2015 1:18 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Heck, there's a lot of stuff in that part of Texas...try Lubbock to Midland/Odessa...

"John McCoy" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- Don't know either but you are in the heart of rattlesnake country.
You learn in a hurry why cowboy boots exist.
The 8 mile track was just sort of cut thru the brush.
Driving an 18 wheeler around that track at 55 MPH for a couple of hours at a stretch gets a little boring.
The drivers put up a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on the wall along with a hammer and a box of 16d nails in the office shanty.
As the day would heat up, the rattlesnakes would come out of the brush and crawl out onto the asphalt to sun themselves.
For a little diversion, the drivers would run over a sun bathing snake, stop the truck, get out and cut off the rattle, and return to driving the truck until break when he would nail the rattle up on the plywood.
The were on the 2nd sheet of plywood when I was there.
Getting an armadillo was a whole different game.
The object was to pop his shell.
Driving from town to the test track at 80+ MPH at about 6:00 AM creates a whole new opportunity.
The tarantulas are out on the blacktop at that time.
A quick left-right-center of the steering wheel would cause a double wide tire track and improve your chances of squishing a tarantula.
Boredom can sure get the creative juices flowing.
Lew

US40, which runs just under I70 is worse. "Fastest way to Colorado Springs" said the sign. It also should have said "Most boring road in America."
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Now see, I don't think a US numbered route is ever as boring as the parallel interstate. You go thru little towns, maybe there's a railroad running parallel, stuff to make you wonder why people went there, and why a highway was built.
John
On 07/20/2015 1:28 PM, John McCoy wrote:

40 isn't really boring at all; it _is_ quickest way from the east if are than far north to get to a (distant) view of Pikes Peak and the mountains; there's virtually always antelope and all for entertainment and, best of all, not too much traffic to be in the way...it helps, of course, if one does really _look_ at things other than the majestic, but I find that true of virtually all who aren't from the High Plains or similar areas--they just don't recognize there _is_ something if it doesn't slap 'em up the side the head. :)