RE NYW Kitchen Project

Page 3 of 4
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Actually I have three laser levels.
The one Leon is talking about is not a high dollar unit, runs in $50 - 70 range, IIRC from Lowe's or Home Depot. It does what I need it to do. Has both horizontal and vertical beams, is self leveling and fits on an old camera tripod. I always take it with me to a job site, so yes, it will be used on the next job. There are many, much more expensive, units available.
If you want, I'll get the particulars when I get to the shop.
Let me know.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

At $50, it's almost a throw away.
Sounds like it's limited to indoor work which isn't a problem.
What about outdoor work?
Significant price increase?
My interest was what was available today.
Lew
In dropped this bit of wisdom:

I got one of those $50 levels which are really good indoors and also got to set the top rail on my fence. At 50 feet the dot got a little big but it was still useable. Wouldn't be without it. Only 1 caveat -- works better outdoors at night. ;-) P D Q
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:24:27 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Iffy. Just work at night. <bseg>

Indeed.
The high-dollar units are usable outside because their lasers are much brighter and the lines cleaner. That's just one of the major drawbacks of the cheap units. Surveyors use laser detectors for longer distances outdoors.
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
and some food coloring
Ah, that's the ticket. Thanks for that one. Only wish you had told me twenty years ago!
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:58:52 -0600, the infamous Swingman

I love your Day 2 toe-kick drawers and their enlightened description of use. ;)
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
Larry Jaques wrote:

:)
Before they became common, had one client that kept things she didn't want the maid to find in the kitchen toe-kick drawers.
Impossible to see, I learned early that if you use them you'd better let the floor guys know not to nail them shut when applying shoe molding.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

LOL. And remember to open the door before nailing the trim around a new door jam.
Snowing at your house yet? Too cold to work outside. ;~(
Leon wrote:

Flurries ... Michelle spent the night last night and it was like when she was a little girl again when I woke her and her Mom hollering upstairs: "It's snowing ... in Texas! Look out the window, quick, or you'll miss it!"
They can move fast when they want to ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

:) Often that way in TN, too, altho once't in a while even in the valley it would really dump on us...
Definitely too cold here -- 'twas 7F when first looked out and since we'd been near 70F and barely frozen before that was feelin' "right nippy" this am doin' chores... :(
What's it doin' in the Valley--the cold gettin' that far down? Not heard from mom's side of family re: citrus, etc., ...
"Leon" wrote:

Per Google, it's 36F in Houston real time which puts it in the "tad nippy" category.
Lew

And it is not even Christmas yet. LOL.
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:57:40 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

It's 28F here right now, due for 18F tomorrow morning. Ditto Monday, when I go off workin' again. Brrrrr! My Columbia long johns are all ready for me to don when I go back out in those temps.
But at least I have more work coming in at this time of year. I think I'm going to regret one client's yard maintenance (I usually don't do that but this lady is paying me $30/hr to rake leaves, so she's a keeper.) from December to February or March. That account pays all my monthly bills except the truck payment.
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

I had to get the long legged sweats out today and put the shorts away..its 55 oF here in Tucson

-31C (-24F) at 9 am here... Currently up to -27C (-16F).

What do you do to enjoy such cold weather? Build an ice rink or go out skidding (slipping, sliding etc on skis or motor vehicle or sleds)? (Hm... at such temperatures ice rinks might have to have their heaters on to get ice rinks warm enough to skate on!)
Puckdropper

Take the dog for a walk, maybe down by the river. It'll be another few days before we can go ice fishing, we need 4" to 6" ice. I don't like driving on anything under 6" thick. And even then, you have to go slow and think about the bow wave...
Unfortunately, up till a few days ago, it was too warm to flood a good outdoor rink, so I imagine it will be another week or so before we can strap on the skates and enjoy skating under the lights in the river valley.
This is unseasonably cold, but to put it in perspective, my 14 year old son did his paper route this morning (6 am) without checking the temp and was surprised that the thermometer read what it did, as he didn't feel the cold on his half-hour walk.
He walks about a mile to and from high school, and when he got home from school this afternoon complained that he was was "too sweaty" with the clothes he was wearing.
It's cold. That's all. So what?
RE: Subject
Cold enough that coupled with a wet storm coming in from the Pacific have closed I-5 from Los Angeles across the mountain to Bakersfield in the central valley.
This section of I-5 across the mountains with a max elevation of about 4,000 ft is known as the "Grapevine" and will probably reopen with highway patrol escort in the morning.
Welcome to California in the wintertime.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

So Cal in winter. We have about 1.5 feet of snow. The worst part is the 3 foot berm that the &$#)^ amateur snow plow guy left on my driveway. Grumble. Good exercise. (^&#%*$!

I called Environment Canada's weather service today. Turns out we have a little extra cool weather we can spare. So, we are sending our Southern friends some of our finest coolness.
Enjoy!