RE NYW Kitchen Project

Per Google, it's 36F in Houston real time which puts it in the "tad nippy" category.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I love Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Varnish, but if you're sanding for a repair or a re-coat and you happen to break through from one coat into the next, it

*will* give you "witness lines". DAMHIKT. This is why I tend to prefer lacquer type finishes where later coats always "melt" into prior coats.

Based on that description, it sounds like Waterlox isn't that much different than Behlen's Rockhard... What do you perceive the differences to be Larry?

Reply to
Steve Turner

You have it already!!!!!! LOL

Now be careful....

An old friend of mine that I have been dragging kicking and screaming into the 21st century now has more nail guns than me, think. ;~) He has never owned a router but asked my advice. He bought a double base combo, Bosch IIRC and a router table, "he did not know they existed 3 weeks ago", and 1, "one", router bit.

He called me this morning to tell me how rounding over some white oak went with that "1" bit with the router in the router table. I think he almost squealed. ;~) Another slippery slope.

Reply to
Leon

And it is not even Christmas yet. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

You mean these:

these:

these:

Woody

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 07:24:13 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Hah! She didn't want the maid using them, or what?

That would tend to lower the usability factor a tad. but an Azebiki would get in there and fix things in a hurry, huh?

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:57:40 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

It's 28F here right now, due for 18F tomorrow morning. Ditto Monday, when I go off workin' again. Brrrrr! My Columbia long johns are all ready for me to don when I go back out in those temps.

But at least I have more work coming in at this time of year. I think I'm going to regret one client's yard maintenance (I usually don't do that but this lady is paying me $30/hr to rake leaves, so she's a keeper.) from December to February or March. That account pays all my monthly bills except the truck payment.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:19:23 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner scrawled the following:

Yeah, I hear that. I'm heavily into rubbing vs. spray finishes, and the oils tend to melt and meld nicely.

Night and day. Rockhard is a thick, shiny finish while Waterlox is a thin, rubbing finish which allows the feel of the wood to come through. I use the satin, BTW. While Waterlox -can- be applied thickly, it has a whole different feel, even at that thickness. It could be the quantity of oil in Waterlox. It's mostly tung oil.

I've never sanded an old, weathered, abused Waterlox finish, so I don't know if it'd leave witness lines, but I've never seen a WL in new finish application and smooth sanding between coats.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:45:59 -0500, the infamous Woody scrawled the following:

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:42:31 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson scrawled the following:

Coffered, arches, or what? Spill!

Nah.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:09:49 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

You bet. Don't forget Taco Bell (everything) and Jack in the Box (that leetle Franch restaurant in town) tacos.

'Course when I build a Dagwood at home, it has an inch of lettuce and or sprouts in it.

If you figure that they get you in there for the dollar and a half dog, then you spend your normal _minimum_ of $100 on other crap there, they make a killing by trapping you with the dog in the first place. Excellent marketing ploy, wot?

That particular loss leader ALWAYS turns a profit for 'em.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Steve Turner

and some food coloring

Ah, that's the ticket. Thanks for that one. Only wish you had told me twenty years ago!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I had to get the long legged sweats out today and put the shorts away..its

55 oF here in Tucson
Reply to
Rudy

-31C (-24F) at 9 am here... Currently up to -27C (-16F).

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I called Environment Canada's weather service today. Turns out we have a little extra cool weather we can spare. So, we are sending our Southern friends some of our finest coolness.

Enjoy!

Robatoy

Thank you too much! I'll remember you when tornado season comes around... :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:071220091206083749%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

What do you do to enjoy such cold weather? Build an ice rink or go out skidding (slipping, sliding etc on skis or motor vehicle or sleds)? (Hm... at such temperatures ice rinks might have to have their heaters on to get ice rinks warm enough to skate on!)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yep, seems winter is coming a little early here.

Wind is the worst of it though. Hopefully it doesn't blow any oranges off the trees, they aren't quite ripe yet.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

We received it here in Spokane - supposed to get down to -3F tonight with a wind chill of -20-30F.

You can have it back anytime you want it :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard