RE NYW Kitchen Project

Page 2 of 4

Swingman and I used a laser level on the last kitchen install that we did together. That worked out pretty nicely.
"Leon" wrote:

Did you/buy?
Would you do it on the next job?
Lew

Swingman bought it, Ryobi. I would certainly use it again, the continous red laser line over a level gives you a long level line around the room vs. chasing a level.
http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrell0006.html
or HD
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100596757/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Leon wrote:

Damn ... didn't remember the name, and thought the line was green!! <g>
Thankee ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Hey Karl, I've got a kitchen ceiling to begin on Monday that is pretty much a potato chip, being 4" out in 12' and with an inconsistent variation to boot. I got my water level out and the tube is all green from bioshit. Sounds like one of these gizmos might be the ticket and cheap enough to absorb into a single project, if need be.
If you have a good cheap one to vouch for, I'd be glad to hear about it. I've stayed away from them because anything better than a toy was too spendy.
Thanks.
tom
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

Tom,
As you well know, you get what you pay for, but this Ryobi unit that Leon provided the links for works just fine for the price.
Obviously wouldn't recommend it for laying out a foundation, but it does the job inside just fine. I would try to use it on a tripod if you have one ... took a standard camera body thread, may have even had a adapter for same.
I liked the fact that it self leveled very quickly, and had both vertical and horizontal beams ... but it is plastic for the most part.
Basically paid for itself on the first kitchen, as far as I'm concerned.
IOW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, if necessary, just to do one kitchen installation with more than one wall.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thanks Karl. I jumped into the thread late and didn't see Leon's links. I'll find them and see if I can pick one up tomorrow.
Much appreciated!
Regards,
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:36:18 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson

Probably. OTOH, filling the green tube with bleach water will clean it out in half an hour, should you choose to accept that mission. A new tool sounds like a much better idea. I picked up a HF Multifunction tool yesterday for $35. That's a $365 savings over the Fein, so I bought a hot dog at Costco to splurge some of the savings.

I bought a StraitLine Intersect laser and haven't used it yet (no tile or cabinet hangin' jobs in the 2 years since.) $8 + $7 priority shipping from an eBay vendor. BTW, always doublecheck any laser line which doesn't come from a unit costing $1,377 from Berger. ;)
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
"Larry Jaques" reveals his true culinary tastes by admitting...

I read an article recently about the CEO of Costco. It turns out those hot dogs are world famous. The do an incredible volume of those hot dogs and pledge to always make them available for a reasonable price. And they are extra big sellers overseas.
You are not alone in "splurging" on Costco hot dogs. ;)
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:09:49 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

You bet. Don't forget Taco Bell (everything) and Jack in the Box (that leetle Franch restaurant in town) tacos.
'Course when I build a Dagwood at home, it has an inch of lettuce and or sprouts in it.

If you figure that they get you in there for the dollar and a half dog, then you spend your normal _minimum_ of $100 on other crap there, they make a killing by trapping you with the dog in the first place. Excellent marketing ploy, wot?
That particular loss leader ALWAYS turns a profit for 'em.
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

If you want it in green
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100671273/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053

I thought you were color blind?
Now Leon has two different Ryobi levels posted. Which one is the right one?
Regards,

Swingman has the Blue $50 version, the one I posted a link to first. Not the Tek4 green version posted second.

Thanks Leon.
being a cheap bastige, i'll go with the first one.
Regards,

Having worked with that one I'd get it too.

I did a little reading about these gizmos last night and, despite being a cheap bastage, I went for the Tek4 model. I already had their Tek4 infrared thermometer and was impressed by its design and performance.
The new level gizmoid is really cool. I've got at least two ceiling projects I can use it on.
At this rate I might actually make it into the twenty first century before I die...
nah.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

_Much_ better unit!
Basically I need to scribe a line on walls once or twice a year, so I took up your slack on being the cheap bastidge.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You have it already!!!!!! LOL

Now be careful....
An old friend of mine that I have been dragging kicking and screaming into the 21st century now has more nail guns than me, think. ;~) He has never owned a router but asked my advice. He bought a double base combo, Bosch IIRC and a router table, "he did not know they existed 3 weeks ago", and 1, "one", router bit.
He called me this morning to tell me how rounding over some white oak went with that "1" bit with the router in the router table. I think he almost squealed. ;~) Another slippery slope.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:42:31 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson

Coffered, arches, or what? Spill!

Nah.
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:26:16 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson

Same unit, same price, but the one from CPO is a refurb. :\