RE: Not Today

---------------------------------------------------- It's showing 103F and the afternoon temp has yet to peak.

The A/C been running 24/7 for over a week.

Pass the water jug.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------------------- Aren't you the one who SUPERVISES?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Jeez LOL. It only got up to 91 today, It was almost chilly. A few days 4 weeks ago it was 106. 101 in my shop.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah! LOL. I still remember talking about the "Feels Like" temp in my physics class in 1973.

"Feels Like" to who?

The weather guys need a legend to go with "feels like". And there should be a number of feels like temps. What if you are 50 lbs over weight? 100 lbs? Underweight? Wearing dark long sleeve clothing?

Feels Like is just an uneducated miscommunication of what they are actually trying to say.

Same goes for wind chill.

All of these glamorous exaggerated numbers are the perceived effect of how a particular person, not the population, might react to a particular temp, humidity, and or wind speed.

The temperature is simply not any different than actual regardless of what the feels like temp is.

While I am at it, "x" degrees above or below normal. BS! Normal is always a moving target. They should be saying "x" degrees above or below "average".

Reply to
Leon

A good boss leads by example. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Aye. Good work, if you can stick to it. But then you see all kind of things being done that you could damned well do better.

I do mostly stay off ladders these days. Although I spent an hour on one yesterday, re-attaching crown to a cabinet run that the painters had pulled off attaching their plastic barrier.

(Punchlists always contains items some unknown sub caused, with never anyone around to blame ... like someone dropping a hammer on a newly installed tile floor.)

Bigger the job the more apt to happen. :(

Only two things you won't catch me doing on a job site: Plumbing, and HVAC.

Reply to
Swingman

Sure but it's still a calibration point for "hot". If it's 90F with a "Real Feel" of 110F, it's not going to be pleasant. However, if the RF is 90F, it'll be nice.

Not uneducated at all. If anything, it's overeducated. ;-)

Wind chill, at least in some worlds, is a bit different. The -40 numbers are a measure of how fast uncovered skin will freeze. As such, it's not all that variable from person to person.

Whether you freeze to death or not, is kinda important.

I'm with you here! 70F,this time of year is normal. So is 95F.

Reply to
krw

Understood but it really is different for different people. As mentioned somewhere else in this thread some complain at the 90's for me not so bad.

Well educated beyond their level of comprehension. I would still prefer they leave "feels like" out and state the facts, actual temp, humidity, and wind.

Yes, however the audience, people I know, think that if the forecast temp will only go down to 40 degrees F, with rain, and a wind chill of 30 degrees F, that bridges will ice over.

You will freeze more quickly "IF" the temp goes to or below freezing. But it is surprising how many think that wind chill is actual.

Reply to
Leon

Sure, but they don't say "everyone will be comfortable tomorrow". You know that a dry 90 is fine but a 90F with a RF of 110 is not. Someone else may feel otherwise. Both of you have the information to decide whether to wear a coat tomorrow. ;-)

Too much information for the TeeVee. That information is found easily enough, if you care.

Some people are stupid. Is that shocking, given the state of public schools (and government in general)?

You will die, if exposed, long before 32F (real temp). Wind will make if happen faster.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip & trim*

I gave up on getting the weather from the TV years ago. I either take a look at the thermometer before I go out or the intensity of the daylight coming through the window. (Sometimes both.)

If I want a better forecast, I get it from the computer. It takes less time to boot the computer and load the forecast page than it does to wait through the 3-4 minute news segment for them to finally mention my area. I think it's an inherent problem with video--too easy to fill time with nothing so they do.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well, if that was interesting... a few more thoughts.

Wider roads become problematic due to existing drainage conditions. Factor s to consider are the type of surface (concrete/asphalt) as they drain at d ifferent speeds. Also, the type of drainage that serves the surface becaus e even if the roads are covered with water you don't want to overfill the d rains. Without decent airflow to displace the rushing rain water, suction will occur and drainage will stop. With those two simple factors in mind, it is the accepted practice to design the drainage serve certain areas base d on it drainage capability. Trust me, you would rather have water on the road over a drainage system that is full and cannot drain because it is suc king air.

And yes, depending on its design a wide set of lanes can have a nice camber to it, and unless severe you won't notice it in your car. Around here, fo r off ramps and entry ramps that are 2-3 lanes wide, they use a single slop e draining into a system that handles only that ramp, and dumps somewhere e lse. No camber, only slope.

Basically today the setup is the same to establish road beds. In the old d ays, angles were "turned" (coined by turning the head of the instrument to the correct angles to determine a curve. Now they use a theodolite, which does the same thing with incredible accuracy. They still use sighted level s in some cases, but also use lasers for long distances.

Most $400 levels will shoot a level line about 150' or so with no more than 1/4" deviation. Lasers will go farther and are more accurate (and much, m uch more expensive) but you don't have to deal with heat shimmers or trying to read the measuring rod. When I was setting forms and leveling tilt pan els, we used to take a reading in the morning, move the instrument around n oon and reshoot, then move closer to the work and shoot one more time at th e end of the day.

Really, it was fascinating for me to learn that stuff, although today I use an inexpensive level and the largest thing I have shot in lately was a fri ckin' patio.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

-------------------------------------------------------- Muggy. A/C still running 24/7.

Temps approaching 3 digit range and humidity approaching 50%.

Muggy.

I expect this kind of weather in South Florida but this is SoCal.

Pass the water jug.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Must be all that hot air of the population. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

HA! Getting ready to pour my second Rebecca Creek.... Simple solution, install a bent pipe.

Can't wait to see y'all this Christmas.

Reply to
Leon