Re: Not a Ute - Tojo2010_hunterV.JPG

I haven't had a car/truck payment for 40 years.
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:21:57 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Sugar mama? Sweet!
-- If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door. -- Lois McMaster Bujold
On 7/22/2011 6:21 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You must be really old, I have not had a car payment in 21 years.

Having worked at a Chevy dealer, I won't buy another one.

Ditto. I went to the dealer to test drive a Tacoma. I loved the truck, but it was kinda small, and the brakes were downright scary hard to stop with. That settled that.

Right. I didn't really like the look, but once I test drove it, all hesitation fell away.

The one I bought was FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS LESS than the equivalent F-150 at the local dealer. I might have been able to talk the Ford sales twit down by $5k, but not by $15k. That settled it for me.
I got it for $26k and they wanted over $40k for the basic F-150. Base price on the Ford Harley Davidson version of the F-150 is $48k, almost twice the base price of a normal one, but middle-aged dentists can afford it.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

I DID buy the Tacoma; wanted one for years. And, coming out of an '01 F250 Power Stroke crew cab with an eight foot bed and 15 cubic foot tool box calling the Tacoma small-ish is an understatement. Cost more than the F250 did in '01, too. I keep telling myself the brakes are "downright scary" because I've been used to the Ford's brake pedal. The Tacoma pedal is softer, fer sure but I haven't felt like the truck wasn't going to stop - so far. Put an Undercover lockable tonneau cover on it, had that painted to match, and sold the OEM Dunlops in favor of a set of Michelin LTX AT2 truck tires. Been to Georgia and Colorado in it with the two dogs and SYB; it sure doesn't travel like the F250 did. We used to keep our snack boxes on the floor behind the front seats - not in this truck. And the single handle carry Igloo [that also served as a bridge for the dogs to the console] won't begin to go between the console and the back seat anymore, not even the REALLY narrow one we bought for and what works in SYB's Land Cruiser. Grabbing the Cheezits or the jerky and a Coke Zero now requires a Rest Stop or gas stop. I don't like having my camera gear travel in the bed either, padded bag or no, but the pups get the back seat when they go with us. The Power Stroke would get me 16-17 mpg highway; I think I saw 20 on this rig once and that was lots of 45-65 mph driving between Canon City over through Salida, Monarch Pass to Gunnison, CO. and back down to Santa Fe, NM. For ten years I've hauled materials in the big Ford. It was always a bonus to close the tailgate on eight foot two-bys and sheet goods. Tacoma? Faggittaboutit. Already been there, too. The next test will be to see how it pulls the 16 foot tandem axle with the old 4-cylinder Massey Furgeson [shredder attached] out to the ranch from a house we have in a small town not far from San Antonio, a 60 mile round trip. I did get the tow package but suspect that's mostly cooling related. I'm guessing the tractor/trailer setup is not over 5k lbs. Bottom line? SYB has already made it known she wants a big truck again. When it's just me the Tacoma works OK - but just OK. My gun cases, camera gear, and all the "travel stuff" we've learned to pack in plastic, lidded boxes can ride in the back seat or the passenger-side front floor board. And, I've made room for one of the dogs (the bigger, 25 lb. Sheltie) on one trip over to the other house and ranch. But, the gas weed eater, leaf blower, chain saw, and my tool bag, cordless drill, bagged circle saw, automotive tools all have to be restrained with shock cords and the ratcheting cargo tension rod or the other bed divider I'm using and I have to load the weed eater BEFORE positioning those. Packing this truck bed is a PITA. Tonneau cover becomes an obstacle, too. FOR SALE: 2011 Toy - - - check back next year. See picture in apbw.
Dave in Houston

When I stomp the WhoaStop pedal, I want instant & irrevocable results.
When it took over 100 pounds of pedal pressure to get the truck to stop in more time than I thought it should (as if it had a heavy trailer behind it) I was worried. The Tundra, OTOH, stops on a dime with 1/3 that pressure and no sponginess. I probably should have driven another Tacoma to make sure it wasn't just a bad set of brakes on one vehicle, but the 4-wheel disc setup on the Tundra is amazing.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 7/23/2011 11:07 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The fact the the front disks are almost as large as some passenger car wheels. 13.9" and the rears are 13.6" has a lot to do with it.
On 7/22/11 9:21 AM, Swingman wrote:

Over my head.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/22/2011 3:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Rolls over and dies ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/22/2011 5:25 PM, Swingman wrote:

Or gets hit by an even bigger bird. ;~)

I tried driving sanely and after checking it over two tanks of gas, I found that I gained one mile per gallon. 'Taint worth it! Toggle switch throttle and heavy brake foot is much more fun and saves you time.

Outstanding, for a fullsize 'pickup with crap in the back.' I carry 500 lbs of cargo all the time, and add up to 3/4 ton more for the client.

Yeah, I guess it pays for itself.

I'll try the premium, ethfookin'ol-free fuel on the next long trip to see if it makes any difference. I used to get 14 around town but then they put that damned ethanol into the gas.

The 4.7 showed 19 vs 18 for the 5.7 when I looked. My littler V-8 has the 5-spd A/T, though.

Dump it at the local Toyota dealer, Swingy. See what a real truck feels like. I hear they're having $4k Off sales...
Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck. Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck. Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 7/22/2011 10:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Not in every case, you have to look at the price difference percentage and the percentage of extra miles per gallon.

Keep in mind that with the fuzzy logic in the computers results may not be immediate, it's a subtle change.

Grok that, but I think I'll see it in the mileage on this trip. I think the difference was 2mpg in my Ford, way back when, and it actually liked the ethanol crap better than low-octane straight gas.

I'll be going over some pretty good mountains, so it'll likely be fairly quick to find the new timing setup. We'll see next month.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Actually, the 'real experts' agree that premium *is* a better fuel assuming your engine mapping allows for the amount of timing advancement. The engine runs cooler, less crud on the impellers if you're using turbos, better efficiency out of your catalytic converter and better mileage.
NOW, having said that, I do buy my gas in the US. Reason is that the difference between regular and premium is far less, percentage-wise than it is here. Today, after picking up a Graco airless paint unit, I filled up at exactly 4.00 for a US Gallon of 93 rated octane. SOOO, by the time I calculate that I can buy a US dollar for 95 cents, the math becomes very interesting. IOW, $3.80 Canadian for 3.8 liters of 93 grade premium. IOW a buck a liter. A liter of gas here, regular, is $ 1.30, premium 91 is 1.47, 94 Sunoco 1.55. In summation, IF it pleases The Wreck, I save a shitload.
On 7/22/2011 6:11 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Consider this also, I can use 2-3 regular fill ups, and 1 premium fill up. It does not take much more octane boost to see the improvements. Gasoline stations down here sell regular, extra and premium however they only store regular and premium. Regular is normally 87 octane and premium is normally 93 octane. Extra is a mixture of regular and premium, but not an equal mixture as the octane rating is about 89 although you pay about half way between the regular and premium price. Basically you are paying for an equal amount of each but getting more regular than premium.
If you manually fill with equal parts premium and regular you get a higher octane mixture for about the same price as the Extra gasoline.

Toyota HiLux, the smaller 4x4 choice of "off-roader" for our city folks. Asking DOTN he says "No, the Tundra is larger than the HiLux". Having been there (The States) driven them and owning a 3L turbo'd diesel Hilux himself (current model) I concede that point to the y_gen :-)
I will say though the "ride" of the HiLux is way softer than the 'Cruiser. So that, combined with the fact you guys get to have V8's in the Tundra means the Tundra is probably well in front for "style" and "Go".
And as a by the by, from some stuff I have read? The standard Tojo with 1tonne in the tray is pretty much undriveable. We generally use trucks for weight carriage. Tojos are more like a "stash box" where you just put stuff you gotta carry around, and need... daily. george
"Leon" wrote
FWIW, I currently own a Toyota Tundra, best vehicle I have ever owned.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a Chevy Express 1500 with the 5.3L engine. 90 thousand on it, and still with that many miles, I say it is the best vehicle I have ever known.
Bonus is that even with nearly a half ton of tools on board, it is pretty dang quick!
-- Jim in NC
"Leon" wrote

Mine is a 1999 Tonka Toy with 125K.
Have been very satisfied.
Your basic 4 cyl, metal timing chain, piece of reliability.
If I get another 12 years, will probably cover my vehicle needs for the rest of my life.
At least that was the plan when I bought it.
Lew
On 7/23/2011 10:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Assume you are referring to a Toyota but IIRC Ford had a special edition truck that was the Tonka Toy look alike.
"Leon" wrote:

Yep, a Tacoma kind of Tonka Toy.
Lew