Re: Not a Ute - Tojo2010_hunterV.JPG

Page 1 of 3

heh... yer reckon??
Would be a "language thing" Leon, but "cute" is not a description for a Holden any Aussie would take kindly too, I reckon. Those GMH guys get pretty excited (passionate) about the wheels "The General" feeeds 'em. /chuckles
Me, if anything, am a Ford enthusiast(?) but in recent years (slipping into retirement) I have opted for vehicles that will give long term reliability for the buck. Sadly.. despite the hype, nothing we make here in Aussie fits that bill. Whatever.. Me. I am well over cars/light trucks and BIG trucks so I hear you and hold no angst. IOW.. I understand what you are saying :->
btw.. you should see that shape/style on American streets. That model was exported to the USA in some numbers. Or was up until you guys changed your tune on wheat prices... or whatever<G> george
On 7/20/2011 6:27 PM, George Watson wrote:

;~)
Probably not. LOL I was just feeling ornery.

Was that a Holden? I was thinking Toyota. Yeah, looking again, it is a Toyota.

Good, I was not trying to piss you off, just poking fun.

Haven't seen anything quite like it here except for the wheels and grill emblem. <g>

heh.. be careful how "ornery" you get around Aussies and their Jap vehicles. It started as a "love/hate relationship" .. let's not mention The War(!!).. back in 1963, and has grown to "farrkk, gotta have THAT!'.
Toyota has had their problems of late - the effects of Korean competition, and now the Chinese, I reckon - but in Quality they have long equaled, and in many cases, surpassed, the European product. One can run a business using these vehicles and make money.. that's the bottom line. It is never appreciated just how accurate the test of a vehicle is when "new" is handed to employees. Seems "fair" to some they do not need to care for a work vehicle as they would their own.
I digress.... :-)

Yeh, mea culpa. My mind was on another thread of a separate conversation (to <r.w>).. sorry :-(

.. no worries, it is all good to go :-)

I was on a trip a while back, just cruising through "the Outback" when, stopping at a watering hole (pub/bar) this fella came off the verandah (patio/porch) and positively frothed over the truck.. said he was from Dakota(?). Had to drink three of his beers while he figured how he could buy it (or one like it ) and get it back to the USA. As someone else said (elsewhere) the "Tojo" is "standard fare" anywhere away from the coast , and recently even in the Cities as "get outa my way" type "Soccer Mom" SUVs(?).. everyone has one<g>
cheers george
On 7/20/2011 8:55 PM, George Watson wrote:

FWIW, I currently own a Toyota Tundra, best vehicle I have ever owned.

Ditto. It'll be 4 wonderful years in December. Amazing! I've wax/polymered the finish 3 times, had it LOFed 5 times, and put gas in it. Lots of gas; the only downside. <sigh> I'm getting 13/18mpg, but I only drive 6k miles annually.
Awhile back it carried a ton of rock. Today six 5gal buckets of soil, plants, tools, and the railing I took down the day before. Tomorrow it'll be a load of bark. The little V-8 hums it right up anything I've pointed it at with very little difference in throttle pressure, regardless of load. I think I'd have been happy with an old Toyota 4-cyl in it, and I'd have bought a hybrid if they'd offered them that year in the Tundra.
Toyota Rules!
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 7/21/2011 11:10 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Jeez Larry how do you drive??? I have an 07 4 door, 6' bed, and the 5.7, and 6 speed trans. I consistently get 16+ MPG in town and 19-21 MPG on the highway. I do use premium fuel however on about every 2-3 fill usp. Get the octane rating up, lower the possibility of engine knock, knock sensor tells the computer to advance the timing, you get better gas mileage and performance.
I know, I know all the "experts" say that using premium is a waset of money, I beg to differ, in many cases especially in higher performance engines.

Oh.... you have the smaller V8, 4.7, IIRC those did not get as good of gas mileage as the 5.7 when I bought.
On 7/22/2011 7:50 AM, Leon wrote:

You suuuucccckkkk, damn you!! :)
The way I'm going, I'll be driving this POS Dodge RAM until it turns turtle.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/22/2011 9:21 AM, Swingman wrote:

I have the previous generation (2005) Tundra with the 4.7 liter V8. I LOVE it. I'm not really drawn to the newer models... they're just one step bigger than I really need in a truck, and I wish they had augmented the lineup with the bigger model (the "Tundra Plus"?) rather than replacing the old one.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I have only had GM trucks and had a large incentive to buy GMC or Chevrolet again. A customer of mine happened to be the general sales manager at the local GMC dealer and my son worked for a Chevrolet dealer. I hated the way the 97 Chev trucks drove and felt. Mush on the road. Same with GMC. Did not want Dodge or Ford. Nissan was not even in the hunt. I in particular did not like the new Tundras looks and was so turned off by the GM products I almost gave up and kept my old truck. BUT I had an appointment with eh local Toyota dealer to come in and do a test drive. Climbing into the truck I was determined not to like the truck.
Then I drove the truck and the rest is history. Drive and ride quality was so superior that I forgot what I did not like about the Tundra. I ended up buying for about 6k below sticker and that price was 6k more than I was quoted for the GMC. Never looked back.
On 7/22/2011 11:33 AM, Leon wrote:

And having rode in the back seat, and drove the beast as well, on numerous long distance trips to AR, as well as around town, I'll agree that is far more comfortable than most luxury sedans.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/22/2011 11:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Yeah, I don't doubt they drive like a dream (but I don't want to climb into one to find out; this one's paid for and it's got LOTS of life left in it), but it's just a tad bigger than I want or need. The stories I heard when the new models were coming out is that Toyota (and Nissan too, with their Titan model) was gunning for the full-sized Chevy, Ford, and Dodge models. That's fine, but they left guys like me behind in the process.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 7/22/2011 12:29 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

My wife said that I could not buy it with side step rails, sissy bar on her side, MAN STEP on my side. ;~)
On 7/22/2011 12:29 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

My problem with these 1/2 ton, macho, urban bullshit, trucks is that you can no longer reach over the side of the bed to lift something out. I'm not that damned old, or short, but it is an impossible task unless you're 6'8", a gorilla, or both.
Hell, I shod horses out of a 1970 Ford 1/2 ton with an 8' bed and could pick up a horseshoe nail laying in the middle of the bed behind the cab, from either side of the truck.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/22/11 1:18 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah, they beef em up with springs and shocks that could handle 2 tons of gravel, but only about 3% of owners every use them for that.
I still regret selling my '84 F-150 with the extended cab. I routinely carried 2 tons in the bed.... and man did it drive like a Cadillac when loaded down like that. But even empty, I could reach into the bed as you describe.
--

-MIKE-

Hey, I may weigh 225, but I can still step up onto the tire and into the bed in a second. With the nice, deep beds, nobody can reach the bed floor, I don't think.

Yabbut, how did it drive/sound/feel compared to the Tundra? When I upgraded rom the 1990 F-150 to the Tundra, it was a whole different _culture_! I added 15mph on any curve I had liked to take before, and I felt a whole lot better going around it than I had in the Ford.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 7/22/2011 10:27 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well I weigh about 180 lbs, but with Swingman's and my "bulging" leg muscles our pants don't allow us to step up to the top of a tall Tundra tire. Not saying we absolutely can't, we could if we were wearing our Speedo's. '~)

Ayieeeeeeeeeee! My mind's eye. Get the DeCon team in here quickly!
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 7/23/2011 7:18 AM, Leon wrote:

Ack! I'm blind!
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 7/22/2011 10:27 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hell, when I was your age, Sonny boy, I could stand flat footed and jump into the truck bed in one leap ..
... with the tailgate up!
As the song said: "Time Changes Everything".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Indeed so... cos if it were at all possible (today) at least your arse wouldn't be breaking the horizon of the well these days... whilst "shagging in the ute". Dead giveaway (more so in moonlight - when most shagging got done) when the bare arse appeared behind the cab. Of course with us big guys "on board" the springs rocking were somewhat of an indicator of the depth of "Saturday Night Fever".<g> george