Re: Normalcy returns.

Did anyone try to figure out anything from the headers?

>They all did seem to have the same abuse link.

Same posting-host, too, which resolves to an address in the optonline.net domain.

Doug Miller

now if we could just filter on the posting host. . .

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Same posting-host, too, which resolves to an address in the = optonline.net=20 domain.

SwampBug

Nfilter *does* filter on posting host.

Not every ISP provides that header, though...

Doug Miller

You can. Use Hamster as a news proxy and you can filter on any header.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And we thank you very much for the update.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

You notice the flood came on April Fool's Eve......

Reply to
Roy

When I first read the subject line of this thread I thought "Norm has ditched to TimeSaver!" Sigh.

Reply to
Dukester

I will look into that. thanks.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

You can. Use Hamster as a news proxy and you can filter on any header.

--=20

--John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Reply to
SwampBug

I will revisit Nfilter, i used some time back but did not get really = into it. thanks.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Nfilter *does* filter on posting host.

Not every ISP provides that header, though...

SwampBug

For the record, news.individual.net seems to have mass-blocked the whole batch of 'em. A good ten euros spent for the year, already worth it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ummmm.... isn't Hamster a news *client*?

Perhaps you meant "use Hamster *with* NewsProxy" ?

Doug Miller

This particular time the posting host was also showing up in the x-trace, which all of the offending posts had while some did not have nntp-posting-host.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Supernews did too. I had no idea what people were talking about until I went and checked Google.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

can't design for all contingencies. . .I suppose.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

This particular time the posting host was also showing up in the = x-trace, which all of the offending posts had while some did not have nntp-posting-host.

--=20

--John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Reply to
SwampBug

Can anyone do anything about it?

Reply to
WD

I pray Forte Agent's Newsreader will be able to filter posting hosts in version

3 release.

Reply to
WD

A good place to start would be an email to snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net, since that was the domain that the garbage was posted through.

Doug Miller

Yeah, well, they're about as responsive as a, well, a very non-responsive thing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So I've discovered. :-(

I had hoped for better, but alas, they're even less responsive than Google. At least Google sends an automated acknowledgement (even if that's *all* they do).

Doug Miller

*Sometimes* google does better (I have observed it). Like some other hosts, google does not consider OT or abusive posts to be sufficient grounds for action. I actually agree with their policy, but do wish they would crack down on those who do fall under the policy.

However, if optonline allows such floods to continue in the future with any degree of frequency, it would probably be grounds for a UDP, even though they are quite rare; however, the abuse in this case is so clear in this case it pretty much indisputable.

But at the end of the day it is probably more productive to ignore them then escalate things. In the big scope of things they are fly's on the wall and not worth the effort (not really worth the effort of the messge come to think of it).

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead