Re: Normalcy returns.

Same posting-host, too, which resolves to an address in the optonline.net domain.
now if we could just filter on the posting host. . .
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

Same posting-host, too, which resolves to an address in the optonline.net domain.

Nfilter *does* filter on posting host.
Not every ISP provides that header, though...
Doug Miller wrote:

And we thank you very much for the update.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nfilter *does* filter on posting host.
Not every ISP provides that header, though...
SwampBug wrote:

This particular time the posting host was also showing up in the x-trace, which all of the offending posts had while some did not have nntp-posting-host.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
SwampBug wrote:

This particular time the posting host was also showing up in the x-trace, which all of the offending posts had while some did not have nntp-posting-host.
-- --John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
SwampBug wrote:

You can. Use Hamster as a news proxy and you can filter on any header.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
I will look into that. thanks.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
SwampBug wrote:

You can. Use Hamster as a news proxy and you can filter on any header.
-- --John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ummmm.... isn't Hamster a news *client*?
Perhaps you meant "use Hamster *with* NewsProxy" ?
I pray Forte Agent's Newsreader will be able to filter posting hosts in version 3 release.

You notice the flood came on April Fool's Eve......

For the record, news.individual.net seems to have mass-blocked the whole batch of 'em. A good ten euros spent for the year, already worth it.

Supernews did too. I had no idea what people were talking about until I went and checked Google.

When I first read the subject line of this thread I thought "Norm has ditched to TimeSaver!" Sigh.
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:40:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
Can anyone do anything about it?

A good place to start would be an email to snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net, since that was the domain that the garbage was posted through.

Yeah, well, they're about as responsive as a, well, a very non-responsive thing.

So I've discovered. :-(
I had hoped for better, but alas, they're even less responsive than Google. At least Google sends an automated acknowledgement (even if that's *all* they do).
Doug Miller wrote:

*Sometimes* google does better (I have observed it). Like some other hosts, google does not consider OT or abusive posts to be sufficient grounds for action. I actually agree with their policy, but do wish they would crack down on those who do fall under the policy.
However, if optonline allows such floods to continue in the future with any degree of frequency, it would probably be grounds for a UDP, even though they are quite rare; however, the abuse in this case is so clear in this case it pretty much indisputable.
But at the end of the day it is probably more productive to ignore them then escalate things. In the big scope of things they are fly's on the wall and not worth the effort (not really worth the effort of the messge come to think of it).
PK