RE: No Electricity Table Saw

Page 1 of 4
Maybe some Festool competition.
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/10/electricity-free_tables_aw.html
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

($1200) turns it into a bit ohhhh sheeeeit factor.
jo4hn wrote:

Clever idea but seems expensive for what it is.

$1300.00

Maybe the price is just to help draws folks' interest. It looks like they could sell it for a lot less. And I hear people are more impressed with what they save than what they pay anyway. Marketing ploy?

They could sell it for less but you have to join their founders club at $45 per year for the privlidge of paying less. Hummm.

off and sell it for less. I don't know how much less though. I don't see this as a high production tool or anything. Maybe three different models depending on precision and ruggedness may be in order.
Are you reading this Rob Lee? You think that Veritas may be interested in producing a similar tool to this?? Hint, hint. :)
Lee Michaels wrote:

That's what people thought for 17 years regarding the Fein Multimaster. Didn't happen.
Then, last November, the patent expired....
HeyBub wrote:

Speaking of which, I'm thinking now that a nice little table that holds a Multimaster could be a handy thing. Not what you'd use for ripping 8/4 lumber but for dovetails and the like the thin blades could be handy. OTOH might work as well hand-held. Never though of trying that before.

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea at all. Easy enough to rig up, and having the ability to have a preset angle is perfect for dovetails or tenon shoulder cuts.
jo4hn wrote:

Wait a few years and Harbor Freight will have a copy at $39.95.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Brilliant!!
Expensive!!!!

And out of stock.
Bridge City has never been known for affordability.
scott

That may be a matter openion. Way way back when I used to buy their products. I have some of their rules, an angle gauge and a Squivel with a penny in it. Not long after their road to recovery their prices got out of hand.

has to be the most expensive hand saw I have ever seen. Or is it a manual table saw? Whatever it is, it is wonderful. I am drooling here. And apparently so many people liked it that they have run out of their first production run. If you want one, you have to get on a list.
But it looks like just the ticket for small, precise parts. Model makers, wood turners, doll house makers, mineratures, etc. I bet it is a big hit for anybody who needs those small, precise parts.
I don't do anything like that and I still want one.
<experiencing tool lust here>

I'm happy there's a video... it is worth seeing. I fail to see the utility, at any price, though.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

I had the same thought until I remembered that there are a /lot/ of apartment-dwellers who don't have shop space available.
Quiet operaion and ease of dust control might be attractive to them, and I suspect other designs will appear to solve the price problem.
I was just thinking that it should be possible to build a CNC version for considerably less money than Bridge City's manual version - and that the CNC version needn't be significantly noisier...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I had not looked into BCT before, but then again I haven't dragged my knuckles on the ground for quite a long time *S*. I do see the appeal though. I'll just stick with the plug-ins for the time being.
On 10/26/2009 3:41 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Couple-three things:
$1300? Fuck no.
Per several comments on the /Make/ page, the plastic bevel gears and aluminum parts look cheesy.
There's a real ergonomic problem here: unless you have a helper, you need one hand to crank the saw, leaving only one other hand to guide the work.
A better arrangement might be to use a foot treadle. Before the advent of power tools, there were lots and lots of treadle-powered tools, from drill presses to jigsaws.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

The hand crank is only for adjusting blade height.
--

-MIKE-