Re: Newbie looking to make a 4'x3x 14" bookcase

Hi Ben
Yes it is perfectly possible to do the job you want with the tools you have on hand though I think a set of chisels would be of great assistance also. Not particularly easy, but, doable.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
On 18 Aug 2003 12:17:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ben Seiden) wrote:

    If you want the bookcase ot be a full 14 inches deep, the best wood to use is plywood. Three-quarter inch for the sides and shelves, 1/4 inch for the back.
    The best way to do this with minimal tools is to use cleats on the uprights for the shelves to sit on. This saves you having to make a dato but still gives you a strong shelf. You can make the cleats out of 1x2s or--if you want somehting fancier--pieces of molding.
    Another way to do it is to make the shelves adjustable by installing metal tracks which take small slelf-holders.
        Good luck.
                Peter
Good advice. Be sure you use BIRCH plywood and not just "plywood". Birch is much stronger, smoother, stable.etc. I use the metal standards because I inevitably need to adjust shelves after a year or two. Seems like bottom shelf needs to be 14" to accomodate map books, and the like.