Re: Newbie - Jig Recommendations

Robert,
You may like to read our review on Robert Wearing's book - "Making Woodworking Aids and Devices"
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/wwaidsanddevices.htm
May be what you are after?
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System - Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench - Veritas Basic Grinding Set - Book: Making Workbenches ------------------------------------------------------------

more
do
Check out your local woodworking store (Rockler, Woodcraft, Wood Workers Store, and so on), they have books. The Woodworkers book club is a possibility, they have a website (URL not handy at the moment). Search Amazon, Barnes and Nobel, and others.
Don't get too carried away. Jigs are nice but it is probably best to build them as you need them. Unless you know you will be doing some particular operations, why would you want to build a jig to do it? Use the books as guides and get ideas from them.
See if you can find a community education woodworking class. Think about safety ALL THE TIME (it gets hard to write code with eight fingers). Look for other woodworkers, talk to them and adapt their opinions to your 'specialization'.
By the way, nice furniture is hard to make. Start out with some shop storage and/or small projects. Be patient, in programming, haste creates bugs, in woodworking, it creates toothpicks.
Woodchip

I'll second that -- I found "The Table Saw Book" at the local library and found it excellent.
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.

more
Ditto - my situation exactly.

I think many Jigs are built as needed - or largely within the context of a project. But I can think of one that is universal: crosscut sled. The ability to cut stock that's square and of repeatable size is paramount.
Google for crosscut sled will lead to a plethora of links! {"Google" is now a verb?}

The other day, when the cuts were coming out short - I found my self flipping the on/off switch on the table saw and trying the cut again.
Old habits die hard.

LOL! :O)

Well just be careful with that thing and make sure you don't let IT give YOU the 3 finger salute! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
I show around 50 jigs on my website. Some (like my tenon jig) are very old, but work well enough that I haven't felt the need to remake them -- as I recently did with my old box joint (finger joint) jig. Others were made in the past few years -- most are my interpretation of common jigs (crosscut sled, taper sled, drill press table, etc). A few fall into the category of shop made tools -- sure wish I had a photo of that neat shop made horizontal drilling machine I tore down after I quit using dowel joints because I bought a plate jointer.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /

more