Re: New workshop layout

JAW,
firstly, binaries should be posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking or alt.binaries.pictures.furniture with a reference here in the wreck (rec.woodworking). Most won't see your post as ISPs will discard it in a text group.
To answer your questions:

Put the BS on wheels and stick it in a corner until needed.

a. I can't see natural lighting or ventilation in your finish room. b. You may want to rethink the size of the entry door and make it bigger; looking at the bench and saw - they won't fit in. Also taking out large projects is a pain. c. Try to have the door where long pieces can be fed through the door to the TS. d. I can't see where the dust collector is, you may want to think about installing one. e. pendant outlets over the bench are great, they keep cables off the floor.

?
A raised floor is great if you can afford it, otherwise dropped from the ceiling is fine.
I'm sure others will "chip-in" with their comments.
g'luck
Greg
snipped-for-privacy@noserver.com says...

Depends - are you planning on putting the machines on wheels? With the limited space you have, I would consider it.

Dunno - does it make sense to you? Not being a jerk, just that each shop layout works differently for each shop owner. If it were me, I'd put the drill press in a corner on an angle - you'd be able to get a 14- 20" bandsaw in the space vacated by the DP.
I'd put the table saw closer to the jointer/planer. Seems inefficient to take stock from one end of the building to another.
Where is your dust collector/cyclone and air compressor going? You may want to consider building a separate partition for those two items.

Could be. If you have the capability of doing so, a raised wooden floor would help with fatigue and solve the electrical/dust collection ducting problem.
Also, I don't see a station for a RAS/CMS. If your table saw doesn't have a sliding table you may want to consider this, and put it close to your rough stock storage.
Or, wherever it works for you! :-)
Good luck.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
Move the jointer over on the wall adjacent to the TS. Move the router over to where the jointer is now. Be sure the planer is mobile and that the DC connection is flexible so you can easily move the planer out further from the wall. You will have occasion to plane 8' or longer pieces. I would consider angling the TS 45. You have about 7' clearance front and back from center of the blade - not enough. Be sure the workbench is same height or slightly lower than the height of the TS.
No matter how well you plan - you *will* be changing it - so plan for changes now. Place extra outlets (120 and 220) all around the walls and make sure there are no dark spots with your lighting.
Bob S.

You planning a 1248 square foot shop and you can't figure out where to put a 4 square foot _bandsaw?_ Maybe you should ask Norm. As I recall, his shop's a lot smaller than your's and he seems to have figured it out.
Michael He _was_ kidding, right?
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message wrote:

I read 24'x28' = 672 Square Feet.