Re: New "old" books from Eric Sloane

On 31 Mar 2004 23:24:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I got my new books catalog from Dover this afternoon. They now carry four of >Eric Sloane's books, the newest (for them) being "A Reverence for Wood". Go >looking and you'll also find "A Museum of Early American Tools", American Barns >and Covered Bridges", "American Yesterday".

All good, Reverence my fave. He had a knack for letting us relive the past through his detailed explanations on all his pages. What a wonderful author!

They also have reprinted "Ancient Carpenters' Tools" by Henry C. Mercer. > >Dover has the greatest reprint program in the world, IMO.

Yes, and it's widespread as far as interests go. Zouptanuts.

No connection, etc., but if you don't get their catalogs, check out >

Check Half.com and Ebay.com for used copies first. I received Tangerman's "Design and Figure Carving" book today for half the new price, including shipping. (3 books, $11.08 delivered)

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques responds:

Well, yeah, but check Dover to see if they even publish the book you want. Then check the used book places.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wed, Mar 31, 2004, 11:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie=A0Self) says: I got my new books catalog from Dover this afternoon.

Hehehehe Somewhere around here, I've got several Sloane books. If I recall right, I've got, "A Reverence for Wood", "A Museum of Early American Tools", and "American Yesterday". I've got a book on covered bridges too, so might even have "American Barns and Covered Bridges". If he put out one on blacksmithing, I've got that one probably.

I didn't get any of them from Dover. Got 'em from the used bookstore I visit in the "big city". The cost of all of them together probably isn't as much as Dover is charging for just one. I've had mine for couple years minimum. Heh heh, I keep telling you guys to hit some used bookstores. Hell, I' pretty sure I've got more woodworking books than the county library has.

JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Reply to
J T

Yeah, well...I've had Sloane's books so long he probably was young enough to enjoy the royalties my purchases paid.

I know I've got more woodworking books than the Bedford County Library has. I was going to claim I had written more than they had, but then I realized that for the last 20+ years, I've given them a copy or two of each of my books, though not all of those were on woodworking subjects.

Charlie Self "The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

Reply to
Charlie Self

There is no _way_ I can afford to even sniff at a Dover catalogue.

Crack Valley sending me their cats is enough !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy, I don't know about that.

I have a copy of a Edwin Monk re-print -'How to build WOODEN BOATS . . with

16 small-boat designs' that cost me all of $7.95. List price, printed right there on the back cover.

'course it was 'republished' in 1992 . . .

Think I'll 'drop in' to their website & see how much things have changed . . . I have to go in for another cardiac ablation on Monday anyway.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

"Andy Dingley" wrote SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen