Re: New Lee Valley Catalog

I'm not the first one to get this, am I? Oh my gawd! The new shoulder and

> scraper planes are beautiful! I know what I want for Christmas... >

What price do they have on them?

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Woodworking Techniques & Projects

- Kreg Right Angle Clamp

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

Woody

> I haven't looked at my previous catalogs, but it seems like they might have

Thanks,

They certainly look like nice planes :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Woodworking Techniques & Projects

- Kreg Right Angle Clamp

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

Woody

Some one should do a review on those 2 planes..... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

:-)

Have to save up some $$ to buy them first :(

Dean

Reply to
Woody

would have bought form them if they had what I needed.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

You mean over a year that in the whole catalog they have nothing you need ? Not even some glue? Even my wife makes a list a couple of times a year. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My copy arrived today... Tomorrow morning I get to spend a whole lot of time on airplanes and in airports, so I figure I'll start working on my Christmas list for Santa.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

My wish list is bookmarked in a "Dad shopping" folder. Lots of Lee Valley stuff in there.

What ISN'T in there is anything like the bread maker I got for Christmas a few years back.

She can't remember that the size is printed on a wrench when handing it, but she remembers a casual "we ought to get one of these someday"....

Reply to
George

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 03:56:37 GMT, Dave Balderstone pixelated:

Do NOT leave it on your seat when you use the airplane restroom, Dave. It won't be there when you get back, and if you do succeed in finding it, you'll have to wrestle it away from a large number of drooling men and it's sure to be soiled. Keep it with you and hide it from crowds!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was lucky enough to get one of the scraper planes for testing. Unfortunately, due to a recent virus infestation, I have lost the review I sent to them.

So let me sum up: I can honestly say that I can see this plane taking the place of both my #80 and my #112. It has two irons available, and the thin one can be flexed much like you would do with a #80. The thicker iron seems to be comparable to the #112 in use. In use the thick iron performs as well as the #112, IMHO. The thinner iron behaves similarly to the #80, but with better blade support, and the "true" plane form is preferable to the "gull-wing", IMHO.

It is wider and has a longer toe than the L-N, which is a good thing, as most of the problems I have when using a scraper plane occur at the beginning of the cut when the iron first engages. The longer toe allows for more stability at this point.

It is definitely worth the money if you are in the market for a scraper plane. If you get a chance, I'd recommend you try it before investing in a #80 (even the excellent LV remake of the #80) and a #112 or similar. I believe it will serve both functions for a price much lower than a single #112.

I haven't had a chance to play with the shoulder plane yet, but it looks excellent. Again, they seem to be making substantive improvements to original designs. While their planes may not be as aesthetically pleasing as L-N models, every one I have tried has been close to the L-N counterpart in function (and in some cases I preferred the LV tool outright).

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) No affiliation, I just love what Lee Valley is doing and will keep sending them money if they keep making good tools.

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

I also dropped the $139US on the shoulder plane, having a similar problem with the Clifton price. The L-N counterpart is just scaled too big (and $224US) for the tenoning I do.

There's no way to compare this to that Stanley POS #90. I had to regrind/remill all the critical surfaces (bottom, bed) on that thing just to get it halfway usable, and the iron is far too soft. They're just shipping plated pig iron in something that resembles a plane shape now.

The only slight nitpick I could make with the L-V that the body was .695" +/- .001 wide and the iron came .714" +/- .001, so you'll have to grind it a bit if you want to dead-center the blade and use both sides of the plane. But that's done only once (I guess I got one at the extreme edge of the tolerance band) and the iron holds a great edge.

Same here with hard maple. Now one of my top five favorite tools.

Reply to
Jeffrey Johnson

Hmmmm ... $179 Canuckian is what ... $10 USAian? ;-)

I was wondering about some of the design elements. The lateral setscrews have rapidly become a favorite aspect of their planes I own, so I was happy to see them. I was interested in the center grip hole. It looks good, but does it really function as well as it looks like it should? (My problem with the #9- series was always feeling like I had nowhere to properly grip the plane. And when I played around with a friend's L-N, I was having a heck of a time trying to figure out the best way to grip/control that big boy.)

Also, the pivoting cap screw seems like a handy addition to the plane. Has it worked well for you?

If it works that well, I'll have to put it on my want-list. One thing I've used my #90 and #92 for is touching up hand-raised panels (cleaning up little bits of tearout that you get because you always wind up going against the grain at some point), and it sounds like this plane will be just the ticket for that.

Thanks for the info, and d*mn you, Rob Lee for making another plane I have to have. ;-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

I think you were being overly generous and misplaced the decimal. $1.0USAian

My biggest problem with my #90 is the ridiculously short toe.

I like the center grip hole. It just feels "right" to hold it that way. Obviously, if the tenon is very long you can't hold it that way..

So far, I haven't use it. I tried laying the plane on its side and shooting the shoulders but I didn't feel comfortable. I preferred wokring on the pieces in a vise.

Ah but this is only the first. :-) To quote from the LV web site, "This is the first model of an upcoming line of shoulder planes".

Reply to
Brian MacGillivray

Probably, and probably 8 ? or 1 £.

Reply to
Silvan

$1 US = $1.35 CAD

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

D*** you Lee Valley. I never got my catalog. After reading multiple posts about the new catalog, I called today. Mine was mailed August 28th but it never got here. I had to beg for a new one........

Reply to
David Chamberlain

Did you check the porch?

Reply to
Michael Daly

I'd give you mine, but the pages are all stuck together. ;~(

..... nope, drooling over it.

Reply to
Swingman

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:51:53 GMT, "Michael Daly" pixelated:

Of course not. Why would he check the porch? He was expecting deliveries.

- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, it's almost impossible to get the thing started properly with thatlittle stub of a toe. That's why I also got the #92. I use it when its narrower width isn't a problem.

Good to hear that it works well. LV's design changes seem to be consistently good. Even though there have been a few that I didn't care for aesthetically when I first saw the planes (the chunky totes and recessed finger hole on the low-angle planes, for example), I can't think of any that didn't work well in practice.

I prefer shooting shoulders with the piece clamped to my benchtop, so it may come in handy for me.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that. D*mn him again. Now I have to wait and see what other sizes he's coming out with. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian