Re: New latches for old kitchen cabinets

David Nebenzahl wrote:

There used to be some real heap ones, used a screw with a round (but slotted head) on the door and a receptacle similar to the ones you mentioned above. Not elegant but they held very well. Can't say who made them but I'm guessing Stanley as the cabinets I broke up had Stanley pivot hinges...saved those and the catches, use both on my shop cabinets.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I think I've seen these; did the receivers have two metal prongs that held the screw between them?
Even so, have no idea where I'd find these.
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

Something like this?
On 11/27/2009 2:32 PM Dave Balderstone spake thus:

No, but those are interesting. Except that they look a little wimpy. If I could pick some of those up locally I might try them 'cause they're cheap.
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:48:10 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Where in Canada are you looking?
On 11/28/2009 7:16 AM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

The Bay province. You know: San Francisco.
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yeah. The prongs were maybe 3/8 - 1/2 wide, had plastic tips and were spring loaded in some fashion, took a fair amount of push/pull to open/close the door. ____________

Nor do I. I browsed Stanley, Amerock and WoodWorkers Supply without luck. Best I can say is that they had to have been very low price because the cabinets were cheap, cheap, CHEAP. Did I mention they were cheaply made?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Magnets
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:57:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I find that at least the ones made for furniture to be nothing but a PITA. They work for a month, maybe. Magnets don't like shock and that's exactly what they get as a door catch.

There are lots of quality magnetic latches and closers that work for decades
How about magnetic fridge gaskets and weatherstipping? They handle the shock of closing just fine. Yes there are some real cheap magnetic closers/latches sold for cabnetry etc that are pretty useless - but if you look and mabee pay a bit more there are some that WILL last.
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:08:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have never seen one, on any furniture.

Different beast. The magnet isn't a solid object striking another solid object and there is far more surface area.

Again, I've never seen one. ...and I have looked. I'll not buy any furniture that uses the things anymore. There are far better solutions.

You haven't looked very far. The stanley and Amerock type (Stanley 711030, 711075, 710300 etc ) (and Amerock CM976 series) are decent quality - or at least alweys were, but the EPCO 5XX series is far superior as they do not have the impact problem.
They WORK

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:27:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The impact problem is a matter of physics. Magnets do not like to be struck. They *will* lose their magnetism.

I have cabinets with magnets that have been working just fine for decades. Multiple uses per day, every day. I'll get back to you in another 40 years with an update.

Have you looked at the latch referenced? I just got rid of a stereo cabinet that had one for over 20 years - as good as the day it was made.

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:38:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

<snip>
What should I *look* for?
I just know my experience with them and the material properties of the magnets. I also know that there are better solutions.
[dislike of magnetic latches]

The simple bullet catches, with metal or plastic springs, are wear- prone and have to be well aligned. The magnet catches are better because alignment is 'automatic' as long as the poles don't miss the plate. The magnet sits between two floating pole pieces, it never strikes anything. They last forever.
There are also hook-capture-the-rod catches that always latch in a particular plane but which have less alignment sensitivity than the bullet catches. These are like the latch on your car trunk. They look complex; I probably can't afford those.