Re: new floor boards

Just put them down, and wait awhile. Bout 100 years should do the trick...

Clint

How do I age brand new pine floor boards to match 100 year old ones already > down? > > Thanks > > Lynn > >
Reply to
Clint Neufeld

That should have been thought out ahead of time and been part of the installation. Have the new boards been stained or sealed yet? If not, you can have a lot of fun distressing them and selectively staining them to match. A bunch of kids can add 100 years to a floor in an afternoon if properly instructed.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

I've had success using caustic soda (lye) to age pine. Use a saturated solution, paint it on with some rags wired to a stick (it eats brushes), allow to dry, wash off with a mop and water then neuralise any remaining caustic with vinegar. It's very corrosive, so don't get it on your hands or clothes.

HTH

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Hmmm... I've never heard it used for pine. And I would think that the

100-year-old boards have a different character caused by long use and abuse as well as a color change.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Lynn,

Help me clarify something. Have you installed the new pine floor boards yet? This will help a lot.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

BTW, are you sure it is the same kind of pine? I have a "yellow pine" floor in my 100 year old house and when I needed some replacements I had to get recycled boards -- i.e., floor made from wood that had been taken out of old buildings. It wasn't for the aging -- it was because that type of pine is not commercially logged any more. The newly milled flooring matched the original flooring perfectly.

Reply to
Igor

give 'em to your great great grandson to install.....

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Reply to
dickhealy

I added an addition to an old house. We put new oak flooring next to the nearly 100 year old flooring. Both were sanded. A dilute stain was applied to the new boards that made it match the old boards so well, it was hard to see where one started and another began. Also, there was a certain amount of distressing of the new floor to match what we couldn't get out of the old.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

The yellow pine of today does not match the yellow pine of yesterday. Not even close. Better to remove some old wood from a less obvious spot such as a closet and use it in the obvious areas.

Reply to
MSH