Re: Need suggestions for sawdust & shavings

In His Name, be Blessed,

Jim, I generally us my chips and sawdust as mulch around my trees and my
Great in compost bins with nitrogen supplemented to assist composting. Our sawdust/chips go into yard waste bin for city compost. Walnut is a problem that needs special handling.

snip Jim Dalton wrote:

Take the fruitwoods and hickory, soak them, and use them in your grill to add flavor. Real smoke is better than fake flavorings. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Many moons ago, I knew someone who mixed it with kerosene to get their fire going in a woodstove.

The sawdust is a great absorbent, Jim...for all kinds of spills. And you can use both as mulch.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent wrote:

Something to use the next time I barf after SWMBO corners me and tells me one of her stories about work... Hmmmm.... :)
just remember not to use Walnut sawdust if you're making any kind of mulch. Walnut trees emit a chemical designed to eliminate competing trees, basically a plant poison. Mulch made from walnut chips/dust will actually kill your plants.
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.

Although I do not know whether this is true or not, I always get a little smile when I see it posted. On my sisters summer camp on the Ohio River in WV, there is a walnut tree that apparently lost a limb a number of years ago, about 5.5 ft up. The area where the branch was has rotted some and gathered some foreign material over time. A couple years ago I noticed a maple tree had sprouted there. The maple is now about 2 1/2 foot tall growing out of the walnut tree. Looks like the walnut tree's defenses are not working too well :)
Dave Hall
On 21 Jul 2003 07:11:22 -0700, David Hall wrote:

Hmmm...well I decided to double-check, and here's the scoop:
The ROOTS of walnut trees emit a chemical called juglone that kills the roots of other plants that touch the walnut roots. There are some species that this doesn't effect, though I didn't notice maple on the list. Butternut trees give off juglone as well.
Walnut leaves, hulls, sawdust, or wood chips shouldn't cause a toxicity problem IF the material is allowed to compost actively for several months before using.
So either 1) the branch, being a branch and not a root, didn't contain enough juglone to hinder the maple, 2) the maple is one of the species not effected by juglone and I just missed it on the list, or 3) the dead branch had composted long enough to remove toxicity.
I learn more everyday....
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:58:18 -0500, D K Woods

So...it sounds like walnut sawdust shouldn't be a problem...as the chemical only comes from the roots.
Have a nice week...
Trent

Maybe -- although the page I got that information from did warn against using the sawdust until it was composted for a couple of months. I don't know if it was just for caution's sake or not. Perhaps the chemical is only *emitted* from the roots, yet resides in the entire tree.
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.

To be more precise the toxins emitted by a walnut do not kill all other plants. I don't have a list handy, but there are many plants that are not affected. They do keep other walnuts from growing though.
-David

Good for you Jim - now just remember that around here - we refer to pine by its generic name: jummywood.
Jums
Hmmm ...
that mean you refer to SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) as
wait ...........
better swallow that drink ..........................
y'all been warned! ...........................................
Jum 'Bo wood ???
wrote in message:

There is a BIG difference between Southern Yellow Pine and southern pine.

Rick wrote:

Whattaya tryin t'say Bo?
(What's up with that whole Bo thing anyway, Bo? I've noticed people in SC, in particular, using it the way Canadians sometimes use eh, Bo.)
pixelated:

Huh? I thought the cheap stuff was pineywood and the good, high-<kaff, hack>quality stuff called jummywood was reserved for <sputter> staining and minwhacking.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
"Larry Jaques" (apparently suffering from post-nasal drip) wrote in message:

Nay "C"-less . . . the genus family is known (as if I had to repeat this a million times) as Jummus Maximus. Oh the hell with it . . .
Hey Nahmie - run the Jummywood story from down under again pleeze! Larry's acting like a damn newbie! :-)
Jums