Re: need help! Router bit problem (i'm a total newbie)

Ususally tightening the collet nut will grip the router bit. Is it that your collet is 1/2" and you are only trying to put in a 1/4" bit? Obviously, if this is the case, it will not work. A 1/2" collet needs 1/2" diameter shanked bits. You can use 1/4" shanked bits in a 1/2" router if you have a 1/4" reducing insert available.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence ------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if he is locking or securing the shaft first before he tries to tighten it. You should be using 2 wrenches (probably).
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:00:18 GMT, "Tim Simmons"

The Craftsman has a lock for the shaft, one wrench only.
I wonder if the collet is missing?

obviously not:
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Sounds like you have no collett or a collett for a 1/2" shaft bit installed. I'm going to try to show a cross section of what it looks like, but I'm not very good with ASCII graphics:
_____ _____ | / \ | Nut | / \ | | ___ ___ | / | | \ Collett | | | | ____________ | | Router
The collett is a round tube with slits on the side. It fits in the router and the nut is put on loosly. The bit is inserted in the hole in the center of the collett and the nut is tightened. Tightening the nut allows the ramp inside the nut to exert pressure on the ramp at the top of the collett and exert pressure on the shaft of the router bit to hold it in place. If you have no collett, or too big of a collett the shaft of the bit will be loose in the hole in the top of the nut.
Gene

Sounds like you are trying to put a 1/4" router bit into a 1/2" collet. What about the instruction manual?

Tim S.:
Thanks first to all who replied! I didn't know there was a collet that fit inside the round part and tonight I went and looked inside that hole w/flashlight and it seemed to be... a round hole. It didn't have anything that looked like it would clamp down under pressure of tightening the nut. So, I think I have no collet to tighten.
An aquaintence put it together and he either lost it, stole it, or it never was in the parts bag.
So, I guess I'll ask Sears if they'll give me the proper collet w/o charge and I'll bet that fixes my problem. I thought I was just dumb for a second. (hmmm heheheheh)
Also, I read that you should position the bit 1/16" above the base rather than riding on the bottom. Is that true? If so, why? Does it alleviate extra vibrations by not touching the bottom?
Thanks again for the speedy replies. When do you folk find time to do any woodworking? hehehehhe
Oh, another thing (for what it's worth)....
My Craftsman miter saw (also bought for me by my folks as a Xmas gift) was new to me (I'm a musician/computer guy, not a mechanical guy) and I tried to cut a 45 deg but the four pieces didn't line up and I deduced that since the lengths were EXACTLY equal that the angle had to be off of 45. Sure enough, it was. The 45 deg notch was off quite a bit and the other 45 was almost right. I remedied by manually adjusting beyond the notch and using trial and error till it was a good 45.
I plan to try making a few picture frames and now I'm almost ready (miter trimmer next.. when does it end????)
Tim
Yes, leave the bit up a 1/16" or so. The reason is that the collet pulls down as it tightens. If the bit is already at the bottom, the collet may never tighten even though you screwed it down tight.

Tim S.:
Ah, thanks.
Tim
scribbled

And it, IME, usually also makes the bit easier to remove.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Quit true. I failed to mention that. Thanks for bringing it up.