RE: Neat stuff

I've been taking a wood working class at a local community college.
Learning some very neat stuff including lots of uses for double sided 1/4" Melamine.
Can be used as protective pads during glue-ups.
Add some double back tape and you have temporary zero clearance backer blocks for all kind of table saw sleds as well as router fence applications.
Due to low cost, there is an incentive to look for more applications as well as discarding used pieces frequently.
Lew

Any clues on where to find? How does it compare to UHMW?

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

Any decent sheet goods supplier will have it.
"Compare to UHMW"?
Price, function, what?
Two totally different products.
Lew

Function. What is the price?

And similar uses in your example.

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

No way am I going to waste UHMWPE On clamp pads or backer boards for jigs/fences.
Compared to UHMWPE, 1/4" double sided melamine is dirt cheap by comparison.
Lew

They sell UHWMPE tape. It's great for making things side, is cheap enough, and easily replaceable. I use it on fences, sliding door track (not the store-bought stuff), etc.

They sell UHWMPE tape. It's great for making things side, is cheap enough, and easily replaceable. I use it on fences, sliding door track (not the store-bought stuff), etc.
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:41:23 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Does not compute. What is the melamine double-sided with? ;)
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
wrote the following:

It's a plywood/melamine sandwich. The melamine is the bread. I previously wasn't aware it was made in 1/4". If you DAGS, you'll find a lot of uses. I wonder if it is 1/4" or really 7mm.

That was my thought as well. It's a double whammy with Imperial measuring - odd divisions and the material isn't that dimension anyway! I wonder how much of my life I've wasted messing around compensating for the nominal/actual dimension difference. Next life...I'm not doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I finally bought set of 'plywood size' router bits from Rockler. Just too much hassle otherwise.