RE: Neat Hold Down

Enjoy

Lew

------------------------------

Lew Hodgett

That's been published in so many magazines over the years.

Here's a nice clamp though:

just received a test purchase of the 6 and 12" , definetly buying more.

Reply to
woodchucker

I like their tips but they all seem to speak the same horrible language pet-peeve of mine. "Next we're going to 'go ahead and'....." WTF is "go ahead and?" And they say it for everything they do. Drives me nuts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'd have to agree. Not as bad as a rising inflection on the end of every sentence. But definitely obnoxious...

Reply to
Richard

Just thought I'd go ahead and respond. ;-) Have a nice day.

Reply to
MaxD

Eh!

Reply to
MaxD

I was waiting for that. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, nice idea. Kind of a McGiver thing. I could probably make one pretty quickly but I would have to remove the 3 or 4 sets of flexible plastic feather boards I have attached to every piece of equipment to make the cuts.

;^)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

It's probably been in Woodsmith alone more than a dozen times, along with a bazillion "ultimate router tables!"

Reply to
Larry W

-------------------------------------- "woodchucker" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Guess a good idea deserves being remembered.

--------------------------------------------- What ever floats your boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

----------------------------------------- "-MIKE-" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ It's not a basic grammar program, but can understand your peeve.

BTW, mine is the use of the improper objective case rather than subjective case for the male/female pronouns "Him" for "He" and "Her" for "She" and vice versa.

My grade school grammar teachers would roll over in their graves.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

--------------------------------------------------- Just curious, how do you install a magnetic feather board so that it performs the hold down function as the McGiver thing above does?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Three of my current peeves are:

"try and" (instead of "try to") and "a myriad of" (instead of "myriad") and "have got" (instead of plain "have")

Or how about salespeople CONSTANTLY using your name in their spewage? Once gets them closer to you; six times in seven sentences gives you the screaming willies, and you can feel (and nearly SEE) the deceit coming through as they try to hook you into their useless sales pitch.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I ordered one of the newer "Nature" DVDs through Netflix recently and had to send it back unwatched. I've been away from TV for 6 years now and the new narrator (RIP George Page!) is one of those people who has to have a ton of emphasis on every single word that comes out of his mouth, like a bad commercial. It's just horrible and ruined the experience, along with the stupidly loud and inappropriate music in the _foreground_. I guess they're trying to force it through teen minds now or something.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me too. It seems like a southern US thing. "We're going to go ahead and..:". To me, that means we're going to skip the next step while it has to cure, dry, get cooler, etc., and we'll come back to that step that we went ahead on. It's like "...get ahold of..". It's either "get hold of", or .."get a hold on..."

Reply to
willshak

I believe it is part of much of the older US dialect, Much like the (I believe) obsolete term "I am a fixin to"

I have heard my grandparents and my parents in northern Indiana say many times "go ahead and" do something.

I have always interpreted it as yes we are not currently finished with what we are doing but we are going to start something new. The something that is not finished, may not be well defined.

The US dialect is strongly influenced but the construction of other language, such as German. In in some areas I find it is nearly as common too put the verb at the end of the sentence as done in German, as its position in English.

You should enjoy the peculiarities our US Dialect of the English language, and use them to understand the United States rather than cursing them.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

---------------------------------------- What part of northern Indiana?

Still have some relatives scattered across north central Indiana.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett