Re: Nailing & Finishing Oak Railings

Predrill your nail holes with the same size nails or a slightly smaller diameter drill bit.

I have installed oak newel posts, balusters and rails and I'm having > difficulty securing the balusters to the hardwood floor. I'm using small > finishing nails to hold them to the floor because the glue in the protruding > dowels is not holding (they are spinning). When I nail, I'm going through > the side and down but frequently I get a twisted nail or unable to sink them > without hitting the baluster or floor with the hammer.I tried a nail sink > but it only works when the nail is nearly or fully in. > > Can you give me a tip on the methods and tools needed to do this correctly? > > >
Reply to
Leon