Re: Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

> Do you think that Home Depot should start carrying body armor? > > TMT

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest thing about any kind of gun...

Pete C.

> Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors > > Take a nation of do-it-yourselfers, add a ready supply of cheap > nailguns and what do you get? About 37,000 nailgun injuries a year, > according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. > > Since 1991, nailgun injuries have risen about 200 percent, the CDC > said in its weekly report on death and disease. > > "This increase likely corresponds to an increase in availability > during the 1990s of inexpensive pneumatic nail guns and air > compressors (to power the nail guns) in home hardware stores; however, > no sales data are available for confirmation," the CDC reported. > > But when the CDC looked at who was getting injured, it became clear > that the number of work-related nailgun injuries had stayed stable > since 1998. It was consumer-related injuries that had soared. > > "During the 5-year period 2001-2005, an average of approximately > 37,000 patients with injuries related to nail-gun use were treated > annually in emergency departments, with 40 percent of injuries > occurring among consumers," the report read. > > Emergency departments treated three times as many consumers with nail- > gun injuries in 2005 as they did in 1991, the report noted. > > The CDC said more needs to be done to make consumers aware of the > dangers.
Reply to
Pete C.

Would be interesting to know what kinds of injuries.

Ignoramus10909

NAIL GUN INJURIES

Number of nail-gun injuries treated in hospital emergency departments, by body part, United States, 2005.

Consumers

Upper extremities: Includes lower and upper arm, elbow: 1,100 Hands/fingers: 8,900 Lower extremities: Includes ankles, feet and toes, lower and upper leg:

2,300 Other: *

Workers

Upper extremities: Includes lower and upper arm, elbow: 2,200 Hands/fingers: 16,600 Lower extremities: Includes ankles, feet and toes, lower and upper leg:

6,900 Other: 2,800

*Number does not meet minimum surveillance reporting requirements

SOURCE: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Reply to
Doug Payne

Reply to
rigger

I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.

The blind man wanted to help by doing the nailing. They were skeptical. ..... ahhhh, I don't know ............

Cut to next day. One of the crew had a bandage on his thumb. Seems that he shot himself in the thumb. The blind guy did use the nailer and had no problems.

When they asked the crew member about it, he just mumbled something and moved off. It was funny.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Funny now that you say it I use a air nailer and haven't split my nails with a hammer in a while. Maybe I better get back to the safer hammer.

Reply to
HotRdd

Don't do that!!

You will develop carpal tunnel syndrome!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Pete C." wrote

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the meadia types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Very nice, though, if he had no wife, why would he be remodeling anything. Usually it is the wives that want to remodel perfectly well functioning rooms.

Ignoramus10909

Two girls.

A friend of mine once said "If it wasn't for women we'd all still live in caves.......................

and be happy!" Then his wife slugged him to prove the point.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Yep. I would never remodel anything (like kitchens etc) unless that area was unuusable.

Ignoramus10909

One guy I knew tried shooting a nail into a knot, it deflected and wound up in his bicept.

I suppose Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein will be pushing to have nail guns outlawed in California.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

It was to get better quarters for his two daughters.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I saw a guy put his hand on top of the gun to hold it steady in an enclosed space. Don't think he thought that all the way through.

Nail gun of course jumped, hand was between gun and top of said space, not pleasant.

Reply to
marc.britten

They did, at least for a time in some places. When the powder actuated nail guns first came out they met the rather vague definition of a handgun in some states and the states had to rework their laws to exclude them.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

caulking guns are next!

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail gun...it's an assault weapon.

todd

Reply to
todd

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten nails, it will probably be legal.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn