Re: Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

Page 1 of 3
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest thing about any kind of gun...
Pete C.

Would be interesting to know what kinds of injuries.
Ignoramus10909 wrote:

NAIL GUN INJURIES
Number of nail-gun injuries treated in hospital emergency departments, by body part, United States, 2005.
Consumers
Upper extremities: Includes lower and upper arm, elbow: 1,100 Hands/fingers: 8,900 Lower extremities: Includes ankles, feet and toes, lower and upper leg: 2,300 Other: *
Workers
Upper extremities: Includes lower and upper arm, elbow: 2,200 Hands/fingers: 16,600 Lower extremities: Includes ankles, feet and toes, lower and upper leg: 6,900 Other: 2,800
*Number does not meet minimum surveillance reporting requirements
SOURCE: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
On Apr 13, 8:34 am, Ignoramus10909 <ignoramus10...@NOSPAM. 10909.invalid> wrote:

Hi Iggy,
Punctures mostly, I'd imagine. We had a new employee, putting the finishing touches to a crated machine, who managed to staple himself to the side of the crate. Just moving too fast for his brain to catch- up, I guess. Didn't hit any bone so it turned out ok. Good thing we were there though, otherwise I don't know how he would have gotten loose.
dennis in nca

I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.
The blind man wanted to help by doing the nailing. They were skeptical. ..... ahhhh, I don't know ............
Cut to next day. One of the crew had a bandage on his thumb. Seems that he shot himself in the thumb. The blind guy did use the nailer and had no problems.
When they asked the crew member about it, he just mumbled something and moved off. It was funny.
Steve

Very nice, though, if he had no wife, why would he be remodeling anything. Usually it is the wives that want to remodel perfectly well functioning rooms.
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:22:24 -0500, Ignoramus10909

Two girls.
A friend of mine once said "If it wasn't for women we'd all still live in caves.......................
and be happy!" Then his wife slugged him to prove the point.
Pete Keillor

Yep. I would never remodel anything (like kitchens etc) unless that area was unuusable.
One guy I knew tried shooting a nail into a knot, it deflected and wound up in his bicept.
I suppose Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein will be pushing to have nail guns outlawed in California.
--
Stupendous Man
Defender of Liberty, Advocate of Justice

As they should be, along with caulking guns, staple guns, and Guns n' Roses and Guns of Navarone. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If they are going to ban any guns at all, I'd just as soon they ban slogans.
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

Naw, just give one to ol' Duke Cunningham to take into the prison showers for protection.

It was to get better quarters for his two daughters.
Steve

I saw a guy put his hand on top of the gun to hold it steady in an enclosed space. Don't think he thought that all the way through.
Nail gun of course jumped, hand was between gun and top of said space, not pleasant.
And there probably was a corresponding decrease in injuries from using hammers such as crushed fingers and other impact injuries, but nobody checks.

Funny now that you say it I use a air nailer and haven't split my nails with a hammer in a while. Maybe I better get back to the safer hammer.

"HotRdd" wrote in message

Don't do that!!
You will develop carpal tunnel syndrome!!
"Pete C." wrote

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.
That is all the meadia types know.
Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.
Lee Michaels wrote:

caulking guns are next!

ROFL! A caulking gun accident? Now that I'd like to see:
"A 25 year old man in Durham went deaf yesterday afternoon in a tragic caulking gun accident. The victim accidentally siliconed his ears shut."
Thanks for the laugh.
dwhite