RE: Mystery Tool

As you can see, John is looking for some help.
Lew ---------------------------------------------------------
My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks handy for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?
http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg
http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg
http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg
"I have had this thing in my tool chest for as long as I can remember. I have no idea how I acquired it, have never used it, and don't know what it is for. If you know what it is, please let me know. It is driving me nuts.
"Only visible marking is "Made in Japan". Only one of the finger rings moves, and when it is squeezed closed, the cam shaped pieces come together tightly as to grip something. Total size is about 2.5" x 2.5".
"Correct answer (or best guess) wins you a prize.
"Thanks for playing!
"Jim"
--
John ( snipped-for-privacy@boat-links.com)
Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us

I'd say it looks like a tool tor tensioning wires - or strings. Possibly in the textile business?
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My wild guess was that it's for handling film in a dark room. I have little basis for that guess, and an Internet search did not validate it.

Since the original questioner seems to have a nautical connection, I'd think it has some purpose in the marine world. Perhaps something to do with sailmaking?
John
On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 14:57:40 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

AHAH!!!! It is for pulling the needle through sailcloth. You push the tip of the needle through, then grip the needle with the tool to pull it through. I'm sure I've seen it (or a similar tool) used for that kind of use - perhaps in harness-making to pull the needle through leather.
On 10/24/2015 11:36 PM, Bill wrote:

Absolutely not.
--
Jeff

On 10/24/2015 10:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

A line puller
On 10/24/2015 11:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Looks to me like Jim Needs help.
Seems like it's for pulling a flat strap. Maybe for a sail if it's boat related. That way it doesn't bunch up and allows the buckle to grab and not slip.
--
Jeff

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 11:02:47 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

ED use?

And Cl suggested wire puller.
Looks like stainless steel, but the Japanese did lots of small items of chr ome, especially during the Occupied Japan period and that chrome idea conti nued to prevail some years after Japan was no longer occupied. I tend to agree it's some sort of bender or puller and, since it's small, it may be f or some miniature work, such as for model planes, railroads, etc. Stretch ing it: Maybe even a fish hook bender, for when a hook is straightened from use.... *Japan is historically a "fishing" nation... since it's small, com pact, readily handy.
Then there's a whole other school of thought.... Are we sure the rings are for fingers, to be inserted into? The rings may be guide rings for some ot her pointed(?) finger-like(?) "probe", to be guided or held in a limited po sition.
Otherwise, it's a fingers exerciser, for texting competitors, especially if the moveable ring unit is spring loaded.
Sonny
On 10/25/2015 12:13 PM, Sonny wrote:

You should audition for ATOH ... ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Surveyors use those to pull tape measures tight... at least that is what my surveyor neighbor used one for!
John