Re: My digits

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:36:41 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Hn J) wrote:

Maybe you should consider a new hobby while you still have enough fingers to do one. I would suggest something that doesn't involve sharp edges.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Maybe you should take up golf.
Dave

Wot? And lose all his toes???

======================> Oldie but goody:
How high can you count on your fingers? Assuming 10!
-Doug
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:56:51 -0700, "bole2cant"

In binary that's tragic.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote in message
I wrote:

====================I don't get the tragic reference....
But the reference to binary is correct: 2^10 or 1024.
-Doug
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:06:06 -0700, "bole2cant"

The reference to binary is that 10 in binary is 2 in decimal - so only 2 fingers remaining is tragic.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Actually, the highest you could count to would be 1023, as the first number you count is 0. That is, unless you pre-date the Mayans. I know there are some codgers here, but sheesh :o).
Shameless plug: I've got a Flash tutorial on my site explaining how to count to 31 on one hand. Same principle applies to 2 hands. http://www.glassgiant.com/misc_count_to_31_on_one_hand.php
History of Zero: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99535.htm
Regards, Shawn
--
Shawn Wilson
snipped-for-privacy@glassgiant.com
LRod wrote:

Snip
LMAO!
-Phil Crow
There are only 10 kind of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Is it a coincidence that just last night on King of the Hill reruns, that Hank cut off a buddy's finger with a circular saw?

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Hn J) wrote in

Hmm, can't tell if this is a brag or a troll.

It must be tough to type.

Judging on your previous experience, it looks like you have about 20 years or so before your out of finger nails to bite. You might be more careful. SH - The "still got all 10 of 'em" woodworker.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:13:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote:

... snip

I took a look at that link, e-mailed it to work as a matter of fact, some of the photos should be useful. But, they also seem to get a bit carried away; for example, the baby spare on the back of the jeep leading into a diatribe about how sorry the driver will be when he has a flat -- my bet is the real spare is inside the jeep. As in, "it's a joke son, a joke I say". Some of the other diatribes were a bit off the deep end -- the situations while not necessarily according to Hoyle were not necessarily life-threatening hazards either. Guess one needs to apply some common sense filters. Another example -- the coke can screw holder -- want to bet the person using the can that way *wasn't* reaching his fingers into the can for the screws, but was shaking the screws into his hand from the can?
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:17:02 -0700, Mark & Juanita
    *snip*

    Yea, I am with you on that. It seems to me that the pictures range from the AMAZINGLY dangerous (the stacked forklifts, the stacked ladders, the truck propped up on 2x4 stock) to the mildly hazardous (the various guys riding on the truck beds, and unsecured loads and such) to, as noted above, the "its a joke moment"..     I did like the "surfaces may be hot" sign that was wrinkled from the heat. I thought that was a EXCELLENT object lesson.     However, the author(s) all adopt the writing style that makes ALL the pictures "the same" in terms of danger to life and limb. Haw, considering some of the REALLY stupid things I have seen folks do, perhaps they have a point...but in many cases it seems more like "Chicken Little" screaming that the sky is falling...     still a great collection of pictures, and many useful ones in there.     Regards     Dave Mundt

    P.S.     This is a VERY observant comment! Got to remember that simply because we got away with it THIS time does not mean that the actions taken were "safe"...just that God smiled on us, and we were preserved from our stupidity.     DCM

Well, keep in mind the audience for that site varies widely, from the most junior Marine rifleman to the saltiest Command Master Chief. Take a look at the number of hard copy magazines the Safety Center puts out for the various Navy communities to get some examples. It's also not meant to cover just really dumb dangerous stuff that has happened but in the spirit of Operational Risk Managment get shipmates to think "what are the consequences" if even mundane stuff goes awry. It's all about breaking a link in the mishap chain before the mishap occurs.
Spent several months at Naval PG school in Monterey learning all about this and they rarely publish the truly gruesome stuff. I had a buddy lose his left hand ejecting from an EA-6B when his Timex G shock got caught on the centerline canopy bow. Degloved everything but the base of his thumb and he's one that lived. Vince had a great atitude about it afterward figuring the alternative was a deep smoking hole in the ground in the Olympic mountains. The Navy made him specialized hands for everything he wanted. As he was a triathelete he even had hands for swimming and biking. That was over ten years ago so I'm sure he has something even better now.
Allen