Re: MOST USEFUL Computer Language

Please when you start religious wars, keep crossposting to a minimum; how can you possibly think all those rec.* groups would be interested in the answer?
xanthian.
[And what language is "most useful" depends entirely on what tasks you want to do with it.]

I did not see it listed but most of our machines are using English-just the regular type I guess. (Hope this helps!)
On 21 Oct 2003 16:37:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu (Mark) wrote:

I sure hope no one there reads your postings, or that "professional" is going to be called into doubt.

Not one having to do with knowing spit about programming, obviously. Were you sleeping the day "Turing Complete Language" was whispered in class?

My how full of ourselves we are today.
I've seen, in use, an entire cartographic data application system software suite, written top to bottom in Forth; about twenty-five years ago, at that.
The language is hardly a toy, and has been the language of choice for certain astronomical applications (because that was its target application area) since its inception.

Oooo! Amateur flames. We are _so_ impressed.

More than you.

Nope. Number of Turing Machines being used today: 0

Yup.
It's a useful language. Nothing more.
--
Ray Fischer
snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net

No, you may not. 8-)
"Ook" is object-oriented K, a very advanced form of C?
Everett wrote:
)> Kent wrote: )> ) Not one having to do with knowing spit about programming, )> ) obviously. Were you sleeping the day "Turing Complete )> ) Language" was whispered in class? )> )> May I jump in with a mention of the (Turing complete) language 'Ook' ? ) ) No, you may not. 8-) ) ) "Ook" is object-oriented K, a very advanced form of C?
Umm, no. 'Ook' is the sound an orang-utan makes. And it's a Turing-Complete language.
SaSW, Willem
writes:

You guys have WAY too much free time on your hands! :-)
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:08:59 -0700, Alan Balmer wrote:

For photography they are all pretty much useless <:-) I just wonder why this was cross posted to rec.woodworking, rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm doesn't seem to follow the mandate of any of these.....
Alan Balmer wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that the language used by all programmers is ---- profanity!
The best programming quote I know I heard from an IBM research chemist working on a terminal connected to a 360 somewhere out in IBM land.
He hit enter, waited a while, got a response and then said, "Damn computer keeps doing what I TELL it to do instead of what I WANT it to do!"
ARM

I vote for regular old C (the non++ version). You can d/l a free compiler from www.htsoft.com called Pacific C. When you get good at that it will be easy to do C++ or Java, which use most of the same conventions, but with the added complexity of the whole object-oriented thing. Of course PASCAL was actually written to teach programming, but is going out-of-style. Delphi is PASCAL-based, though.
Good Luck,
Charlie
<

If you learn C first, a number of habits may have to be unlearned in order to become a competent C++ or Java programmer later.
-- Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com> DC8s in Spaace: <http://www.xenu.net/ WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!
Joe wrote: ) If you learn C first, a number of habits may have to be unlearned ) in order to become a competent C++ or Java programmer later.
I think you can substitute a lot of languages there.
If you learn BASIC first, ... competent C or Pascal programmer. '' assembly '' BASIC or Perl '' '' Pascal '' Lisp or Haskell '' '' Perl '' C or Java ''
IMO, a competent programmer has done one or more such transitions, and has therefore lost any bad habits associated with a perticular language.
SaSW, Willem

How about Forth?
I'll never forget the saying (apologies to the originator - I don't know who you are) "Forth is a recursive language. You can't understand Forth until you understand Forth."
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Ray Fischer wrote:

In Japan, the foot can split wood. [yeeeee-aargh!] But you *can't* cut a watermelon with it! [yeeAAR!-splat]
--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

I had a friend who had been in the Swiss army, so I asked him how to use the can opener on my Swiss Army Knife. He said: well, they taught us how to kill people using the can opener, but we used our bayonettes to open cans.
David J. Littleboy Tokyo, Japan
Richard Heathfield wrote:

*Complies?* More like he fires up his Skillsaw and says, "How about for $200 I let you leave?"
"Never bring a hammer to a sawfight." - Sean Connery in The Uncuttables