Re: Morse Desiign Acou joint Finger Joint Jig

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 11:40:84 -0700 (PDST) snipped-for-privacy@gmai1.com wrote:

not sure what a finger joint is differs from a knuckle i guess
On 12/11/2015 09:59 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

It's similar to a dovetail joint but square.
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
On 12/11/2015 3:31 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

finger joint jig, it is actually box joint jig.
Finger joints are pointed.
On 12/11/2015 3:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Actually, finger joint, only good fro straight joints.
http://www.franklinadhesivesandpolymers.com/Wood-Adhesives-US/Wood-Adhesives/application/Finger-Joint.aspx
Box joint, can be assembled 90 degrees.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/tablesaw-box-joints
On 12/11/2015 12:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Ah. Quite right...
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
On 12/11/2015 5:04 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

It's like biscuit cutter, it does not cut biscuits, it cuts oval slots.
On 12/11/2015 02:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Wait, what? Dang. I just ordered one for my wife's Christmas present. Guess I'd better cancel! :-)
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

A Festool Multifunction (dining room) Table?
On 12/11/2015 5:04 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:

Nope. Not always, the tines on a box joint are called "fingers", and that is why "box joints" are also known, traditionally, as "finger joints".
The method, and nomenclature, predates the modern factory produced incarnation, and internet/Goggle, by a long shot.
Here's one of our favorites discussing his "box joint" jig:
https://woodgears.ca/box_joint/fingerjoint.html
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

So uhhhhh should Dove Tail joints also be called Pin Joints? :-)
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:31:32 -0900

different from a box joint i guess or just another name for a box joint have seen jigs made on youtube
On 12/11/2015 12:59 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Identical to a box joint, only usually called a "finger joint" when used to join two boards together, end to end.
Most paint grain trim material these days is finger joint stock.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:33:38 -0600

i have seen some very intricate joints used for joining boards end to end i wonder if those are considered finger joints
they require a special machine/cutter
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:22:11 -0800, Electric Comet

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_box_finger_joint.html?zoom_highlight=finger+joint

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 7:18:33 AM UTC-8, krw wrote:

If you want to join boards end-to-end, and you have a 4 inch wide board? End-to-end joining is also critically dependent on alignment, you cannot tolerate a kink at each joint. I envision a special machine with a gang of saw blades, a long fence and clamp for the board, that raises the blades through the work to make a cut.
The router-bit solution will work for a shallow cigar-box, and take a jig or well-appointed router table to make accurate joints.

Ok, but I consider a router/bit a subset of table/router/bit or jig/router/bit. The point being that it need not require a "special machine".