Re: micro-FAQ on wood # 027 cutting board wood?

I. SOME FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON WOOD:

> Q: What wood to use for a cutting board? > A: Maple, or something similar (any lightcolored hardwood, with a high > density and a fine structure, e.g. beech, birch, etc). Not to be > recommended > are exotic hardwoods: their high degree of durability is because they > contain significant concentrations of exotic substances lethal to lots of > organisms. These substances are best avoided in food. The issue is > especially relevant when cooking for guests or children.

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT INFO? What exotics are you talking about ?

Jerome

Reply to
JRYezierski

JRY asks:

Check woodweb.com for more info.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie where in woodweb.com is that info? I just spent some time searching for exotic hardwoods to avoid using in cutting boards but found nothing.

Jerome

Reply to
JRYezierski

JRYezierski schreef

cutting boards but found nothing.

*** Rule of thumb is that light-colored and lightweight woods are much less likely to give problems than dark-colored and heavyweight woods.

So something that should be safe is rubberwood. Given how much it is used for kitchen utensils one fervently hopes so! PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel