Re: ### Micro-FAQ on Wood # 003

--

"P van Rijckevorsel" < snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:402f2d46$0$49824$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl...

wood has a certain type of fragrance (if that). In the US "cedar" will usually be Western Redcedar (Thuja plicata), sometimes Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) also marketed as Aromatic Cedar, but it could also be one of several other woods (Calocedrus, Chamaecyparis, Juniperus, Thuja, etc). In Central America "cedar" will usually be a Cedrela species. In SE Asia "cedar" will usually be a Toona species. Etc, etc.

All cedars are a Conifer/evergreens (so technically they all are softwoods) the North American cedars are a type of Cypress. They all have rot resistant properties. The Stuff marketed often as Aromatic (closet) Cedar is more of a cousin in the Juniper group (which I think is a Cypress family tree anyway). However smell has little to do with classification. Cedar is used for decks, siding, soffits due to their decay/bug resistance. I used a white cedar for a chest I did and lined it with Aromatic Cedar. The properties are similar but they are definitely different woods and the smells are entirely different.

+ + + Facts are facts. How we deal with them is mostly semantics. The only thing I don't see is where your disagreement lies? PvR
your description
--

"P van Rijckevorsel" < snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:40308ead$0$41474$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl...
The description is quite factual. Can't help it if you don't like the facts. Still, I will think on ways to make it clearer PvR