Re: Metabo woodworking tools?

"B Man" wrote in news:5i5Od.3064$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

My buddy who runs a tools store in Hamilton just got the Metabo SCMS > in stock last week - he claims they are supposed to be pretty good. > He's disappointed in the fense for the 7" maching though - it's too > flexible, and I agree - it is. > > The base for the unit is a large "X" shape - very stable - they all > should be like that. The motor is supposed to be excellent, although > from what I can see, I'm not crazy about the scale - it's a little > hard to read. > > It has a VERY smooth slide - the smoothest I've played with. > > Price wise, it's the same as the next one. I saw the new Metabo > planer and it looks a lot like the ridgid. No surprise - I think the > ridgid is made by metabo. > > I'm not sure why they are dark blue though - I thought Green was their > colour. > > Anyhow - it's probably a good machine - no laser, poor fense and no a > pre-cut (no 0 clearance) insert or anything though. That said, I > would probably lean more towards the Hitachi or maybe even a DeWalt. > > Brian > Hi

I only have a their random orbital sander and power grip (mini driver) which are both very good. The sander is about the best I have seen or used for the money. Something that is backed up by the fact that Dewalt (UK) have turned it yellow and badged it up as theirs..... charging 10% more of course!

Not used the items you mention but like most tool manufacturers, they make some tools VERY well and others well... so so. Good luck

My advice.... start at the top and work your way down, that way you have the best best to compare to.

Russ

Reply to
Russell Booth