Re: Meat Loaf in oven or on stove top

Why? This sounds like a question posted a couple of weeks ago, about making french fries on the BBQ. Experimentation is good, but I think that in this case, the time would be better spent at the library, browsing cookbooks you've never met.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I've never tried it. I've heard of some people doing meatloaf in a crock pot. Never tried that, either.

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

Reply to
joeD

Depends on what you're making. I can see cherry saw dust going nicely with venison or duck. Might be a bit strong for chicken, though. I'd use oak for that.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hmm. I seem to remember that some high-fiber breads used to contain wood fiber. You're just skipping the flour. Try it, but not more than about 2-3 tablespoons. I'd probably mix it with the meat rather than soaking it with the milk and egg first. It might clump together and start to form a board or something.

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

My mother used to make a recipe similar to this. I plan on giving this newly found recipe a try later this week.

As to meat loaf falling apart, it's best to let the meat loaf rest a few minutes before removing from the pan and cutting.

Mary who used to post here as smile...

  • Exported from MasterCook *

Top-Stove Meat Loaf

Recipe By : Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Beef

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs -- fine 10 3/4 ounces tomato soup, condensed 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 1 egg -- slightly beaten 1/2 teaspoon salt dash pepper -- generous dash 1 tablespoon shortening 1/4 cup water 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard -- processed cheese 2 slices American cheese

Mix thoroughly beef, crumbs, 1/4 cup soup, onion, egg and seasonings. Shape firmly into 2 loaves; brown on both sides in skillet in shortening (to turn loaves use a pancake turner). Cover; cook over low heat 25 minutes. Spoon off fat. Stir in remaining soup, water, mustard. Top loaves with cheese. Uncover; cook 10 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

Oven Method: Mix and shape as above. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Spoon off fat. Pour remaining soup (omit water) mixed with mustard on loaves; top with cheese. Bake until cheese melts. Serves 4 to 6.

-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 596 Calories; 46g Fat (69.9% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;

163mg Cholesterol; 1167mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 7 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Reply to
Mash

I think of meat loaf as a dry roasted item. When you make a pot roast, on the stove top or in the oven, it is braised. That it, you brown the meat, add liquid, and slow cook it. The idea is to let the moist heat dissolved the tough connective tissue and turn a less expensive, tough cut into something tender and flavorful. Grinding the meat for meat loaf accomplishes the tenderizing. Dry roasting something on the stove seems at best inefficient and probably dangerous as it would require constant attention.

I am aware of someone who cooks meat loaf in a pressure cooker. I find that unappealing as it doesn't allow for any browning and probably yields a ghastly gray lump of meat. Rather than making a meatloaf in liquid on the stove top, I would probably just make meatballs - same thing, but you can brown them first which makes them more attractive and more flavorful. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote in news:Myg2e.22278$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

I think of meat loaf as a dry roasted item.

I like it better with brown gravy.

Reply to
Matt G

You can make the gravy with the pan drippings

Reply to
Vox Humana

"Salisbury steak" or "Danish meat patties" (recipe on request) can be sautéed, fried, or cooked this way, though often times they are "broiled" or baked. The sauté or fry method allows for the making of an quick and easy & tasty sauce.

One time i was making meat loaf and half way through the process got distracted, forgot what i was doing and went back to finish and made hamburgers with the meat loaf mix, fried them up in a pan and served on a toasted bun with lettuce, mayo, sliced red onion & tomato. Was very good.

Reply to
Joseph Littleshoes

"jmcquown" wrote in news:4jd2e.69732$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

I'm afraid if I made it in a crock pot it would be glop. Never made it on the stove either. I wonder how that would turn out.

Michael

Reply to
Dog3

The book that comes with a Crock Pot(tm) claims that you can cook anything in it very well, even bread.

I say it's all just a crock. It's no more of a universal cooker than an Amana Radar Range, which of course has cookbooks available that explain how you can cook anything in it very well.

Every job has it's appropriate tools. You can make meatloaf on your car's exaust manifold - that doesn't mean you should.

Most of this discussion seems to revolve around meatloaf baked inside a pan - the other method is to use a pan to form it and then turn it out onto a flat baking sheet that has a lip, and liberally apply a tomato-based glaze. This allows the fat to run out and promotes crust formation.

You can use any heat source you like to cook your food. Some will provide better results than others for some foods. I don't think meatloaf is easily applied to stovetop cooking. That doesn't mean you can't, or that your uncle Delbert's pressure cooker meatloaf isn't delish, it means that I'm not about to try it or advise anyone else to try it.

Reply to
Eric Jorgensen

Actually my mother's recipe was fairly decent. It was a moist meat loaf, not like oven baked, but decent. We ate the meat loaf a lot during summer because firing up the oven when it was 118 degrees outside didn't appeal. She had five young children to feed so meat loaf was a popular meal.

You are right about the right equipment does determine how the finished product will turn out. I have made meat loaf in the microwave (when it was 118 degrees outside) and the product was tasty but not like oven baked meat loaf. I've also made muffins and cakes in the microwave for the same reason. Both turned out well but not exactly like their oven baked counter parts. Good but not the same.

Slow cookers are good for pot roasts, soups and some sauces. Anything that benefits from simmering and slow cooking are good candidates for the crock pot.

Mary Mary

Reply to
Mash

I would rather fire up the oven in hot weather than braise something for hours on the range top. At least the oven is insulated.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Mary

Reply to
Mash

Reply to
biig

Well, if you're wanting to do something 'different' here's yet another way. From rec.food.recipes

Muffin-tin meatloaf:

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com I hear of people using muffin tins to cook their meatloaf. It is supposed to cook the meatloaf quicker + it gives individual portions and crispy tops. Iam looking for a meatloaf recipe to cook them in muffin tins instead of a loaf

Muffin Tin Meat Loaf

2 large eggs 1 pound ground beef 1 cup bread crumbs 1/2 cup milk 1/2 can tomato soup

Mix well. Heap into sprayed muffin tins. Top with remainder of tomato soup to serve. Heat it with a few chopped onions if you wish.

Alan Moorman

Alan Moorman

another way.

These are much better, I have eight, I use them for individual portions of all sorts:

Sheldon

This is reminiscent of something we had in the school cafeteria.

Reply to
Vox Humana

how's that different from really big meatballs that are sorta wet on the bottom?

Reply to
Eric Jorgensen