Re: MDF table top

That will work just fine. Use folding legs and tilt it up, fold the legs and lean against a wall. Quick and easy.

Thought so. That's the way the main work bench is made, except with hinges at the wall and removable front legs.
Thanx.
Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

New Yankee workshop has plans and a show on making a sturdy, lightweight table with retractable wheels, you may want to look at that for ideas. He uses 1/2 inch MDF for the top and "hollow door like construction" piece under it for support. The best part is after the mdf gets messed up it is easily replaced, protecting the table itself. You don't need the strength to handle the weight Norm's does, so you can make things smaller.
Look at David Marks web site for his torsion table.
Grant
JEL wrote:

make the top a 'torsion box' it'll be lighter so you can move it around if you want, and it will be flatter and stronger.

[posted and mailed]

This is overkill for what you need, but it might give you ideas for making a torsion box:
http://tinyurl.com/kcxf http://www.diynet.com/DIY/episode/0,1007,WWK-409,FF.shtml
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:32:46 GMT, Patrick Fitzgerald

Yeah, it's prolly a bit on the weighty side, but I'll chew on making it lighter one way or t'other.
Thanks for the links, although I suspect in the long run all you've done is get me in more trouble with The Redhead Herself. I mean, damn ! Lookit all the stuff to be built ! <g> Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:36:18 GMT, "Rob V"

Yeah - found the links to the torsion box episodes.
Looks like The Building Table Du Jour, alright.
Just wondering how heavy that thing is, and whether I can rig a chain fall to the rafters when it comes time to move it, without pulling the roof down . . . <g> Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com