Re: MDF & Sparks

<snip> But then again, MDF is basically the hot

LOL... mmmmm hot dogs. MDF on a bun.. a little mustard & relish.. heh heh
Will
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Joe Wilding"

Not at all ! MDF is quite fussy about the grade of fibre that goes into it.
Now _chipboard_ OTOH - you can find allsorts in that. There's a picture up in one of my local suppliers, showing a piece with with a mouse pressed into the surface.

You think? I wonder what purpose the pieces of "what ever" that cause the sparsks, serves? ;~)
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Leon"

It's usually a staple or somesuch applied to the boards _after_ they've been made, while they're on the pallet..

Um not really, The ones that I have run across sparked all through out the field of the panels. 3 or 4 sparks per cut in the panels.
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Leon"

Well take the panel apart then and see what it is.

Wull that's what I was a doin. ;~)
"Rumpty"

Only when I did not remove all of the staples.
Dave

I see we have some "Sure!" and a "Nope!" as usual. I've never noticed sparks or metal "tidbits" in the MDF I cut.
I'm wondering what manufacturing process would either "add" or "allow" metal as part of the mix?

A disintregrating bearing somewhere along the way in the manufacturing process, perhaps in the machinery that grinds the wood fibers, would accomplish that result easily.

Tiny stones. The fibre-mix (MDF as well as particle board) passes under a very strong magnet during production, mostly to try to grab slivers of metal which come off the grinding teeth.... the stones march on to spark another day.
or so I'm told.
00
Rob
Be there metal or not in MDF, I have had the sparking scenario.
On the old Rockwell-Delta it has never been a problem. On the Grizzly 1023, well, shall we say, that's another story...
I was working on a small project using melamine clad MDF. There were a few sparks. A little later I smelled smoke, and it wasn't Cherry Blend. It appeared that the innocent little sparks that I noticed flying through the air must have had bigger brothers flitting down inside the cabinet.
Fortunately, I caught the problem and rectified it (without the aid of the fire company or a even bucket of water) before it turned into anything major.
In a way, I am glad that I don't have a dust collector. Had there been the added draft of one of those cyclonic wind machines, my little smoking layer of sawdust could have become something far less manageable.
Lessons learned: Cut MDF on the old table saw when I can. Never cut metal on the 1023. Clean the cabinet on the Grizzly BEFORE cutting MDF.
PS. I always sweep the floor before cutting metal on the Rockwell, and take off the cute little dado dust chute I built before slicing through a nice piece of steel, or even EMT. After all, I don't want to miss the fireworks show as the sparks fly out of the rectangular dust port in the back. :-)
Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Bill,
I usually don't use MDF but this material was from a clean stack from the Borg, no staples etc. I have used this material and sawed with the RAS and used dust extraction. Yesterday I was running a very short run of moulding using no dust collection so I could see the sparks. Needless to say, the shop is now thoroughly clean and dust collection emptied.
--
Rumpty

Bill Waller wrote:

Aw c'mon Bill. If you'd had a dust collector, you might have had a good fire and could publish the first documented fire caused by static electricity in the dust collector.
< running and ducking>
Bob Davis Houston, Texas
On 17 Mar 2005 10:07:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The fire would have been from sparks in the fines. Would that have mad it a fine fire? :-)
The funny thing was (not too funny, I guess) is that I had to have the hot water heater replaced today. The plumber needed some shims to level the tank. I cut him some real nice ones from some aluminum bar stock that happened to be lying around the shop. (I even new where it was.) He had never seen anybody cut metal on a table saw before. No sparks, though, so I guess I have broken the continuity of the thread. Bad me. :-)