Re: Mantel hardware

Hi-

> I'm making a very heavy shelf mantel and am wondering what hardware people > have used to install? > > Thanks > Doug
Reply to
JGS

Recently saw a similar setup on Home & Garden network. There was a rail that was bolted to the wall with rods sticking out that seated into the back of the shelf/mantel. Depending on how you plan to design it you could just use the method where you cut a 2x4 down the center at a 45 (2x6) might be to your liking for heaver stuff) and cut at a 45 deg. angle. The two interlock and the weight downwards keeps the piece against the other that is fixed to the wall.. Notch cut into bottom allow for screws to be run up and join the two. Not sure what weight it would hold but you get the idea. I think metal "L" railings would probably work the same way. With one being recessed into the back of the shelp piece. so the the top is anchored while the bottom rests against the wall. Lagg bolted should do the trick.

Good Luck Lee

Reply to
HeavyBreather