Re: Makita cordless drill battery, useful life?

That is what kills these batteries. I am still using the Makita I got as a retirement gift in 1996 but the difference is I use it all the time. The batteries are not as strong as they used to be but it still works.
No--typical would have been for both to be bad. Consider yourself lucky that one still works.

http://www.primecell.com /
Rebuilds batteries to better than factory spec. I've used them twice now and am still impressed. My rebuilt batteries are stronger and keep a charge longer than they did when brand new.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/08/03

Yes, for a poorly-maintained NiCd battery.
My Makita battery packs are about four years old, and I work 'em hard five days a week.
Plenty of NiCd battery maintenance information at http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com /
The site focuses on radio controlled model aircraft flight systems, but the NiCd information itself comes from a retired GE/Energizer NiCd battery engineer.
Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com