making a "variable curve" routing template

I am making a table with multiple tops, each edge of which is slightly curved, which normally would require 16 different templates inorder to rout the edges. I would like to make a "variable curve" template so that I can bend it to the proper radius, clamp it down securely, and make the cut. But I can't think of how I would construct such a variable template which would both describe a fair curve and yet be strong enough to act as a fence and resist the forces of the router.

Any ideas?

Reply to
flying_mel

Imagine a set of vinyl strips, each parallel to and dovetailed (sliding dovetail) into the next. Ya bend 'em all and the dovetails slide to relieve the stress, then stick (friction) in place to keep the bend constant. It's a drafting-table accessory, the adjustable curve, aka spline. Available at any good engineering/drafting supplies house (or was decades ago before computers took over). Mine is good for radius 4" and over, so it is a good match for a round router subbase. If you can get 'em long enough, it might suit you.

Reply to
whit3rd

make a trammel base for your router.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

How about something like a bow such as used in archery?

Like this:

Though I'm not sure this is strong enough to guide a router.

Reply to
Larry Kraus