Re: Lowes is opening in Canada

Page 1 of 2

With most hand tools, you should be able to recognize quality or the lack thereof by handling them. Power tools, you never know for sure until the first month of use...
Puckdropper

Great! Now you'll get to complain about them, too.

Kobalt tools are fairly decent. Not the best but not rubbish either. On a par with Craftsman, IMO.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:03:15 GMT, FrozenNorth

I have some Kobalt sockets and wrenches.
They're not a boutique tool, but I'd buy them again.

Lowes is just Hell Depot with nicer displays and more attention paid to keeping the store clean and tidy. Apparently giving them an e-mail address is a big mistake, they'll spam that address until hell freezes over.
Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 2:24pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid (DGDevin) doth claimeth: Lowes is just Hell Depot with nicer displays and more attention paid to keeping the store clean and tidy. Apparently giving them an e-mail address is a big mistake, they'll spam that address until hell freezes over.
A lot more than that in my experience. The help at Lowes is actually willing to help, and can. They know where whatever is, and will point it out, or even walk you to it. Much larger variedy of stock. They've had my e-mail for years, never received anything from them.
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:31:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

thats cause they know your a CHEEP SOB!!!! just kiddin JOAT.:-] Hope your havin a merry christmas season and may next year be even better! BTW I need some lawn ornaments. can ya help? hehehehehe
skeez
J T wrote:

Whatever oddment I need Lowes generally has and Home Despot generally doesn't. I pass a Home Despot on the way to Lowes. Generally I stop in and see if they've got whatever it is that I need. Generally I end up at Lowes.
--John

Ah, that'd be Kroger. I want an HEB!
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

"Dave In Houston" wrote>

Kroger is to this particular Randall's as Lowe's is to Home Depot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/10/07

Yessir, Randall's ain't what it used to be since Randall Owens sold out to some NY investment firm who turned around a couple of years later and sold it to Safeway. Voila! Safeway is back in the Texas market having failed for many years under their own moniker.
--
Dave in Houston

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:31:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Depot never seemed to be able to move folks through checkout lines,, Lowes would have more people going through checkout but the lines always moved well.. I used to hate going to HD because I knew that I'd be in line hell..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
(DGDevin)

The local Walmarts were doing that too. They shut down their self- checkouts, and understaffed their checkouts. When you're buying maybe 5 items max, standing in line for 20 minutes just isn't appealing.
What some stores just don't understand is bored customers don't want to come back.
Ever been to a Fry's Electronics? The one in Indy has a solution to finding an open checkout. The line forms seperate from the registers, and when the cashier is ready they turn on a green light and the first person in line goes to that register.
Puckdropper

And they pay someone whose job is to watch for the next open register (they typically have several dozen) and send whoever is at the front of the line there. Can you see HD paying someone whose only job is to help speed checkout? We've noticed some supermarkets trying the Fry's method, it means you can never choose the wrong checkout line and that's a good way to end the day's shopping experience.

They'd put up a sign saying "Watch for the green flashing light" and try to make the crowd do that.
Actually HD's not too bad for me. I tend to buy bulky stuff like plywood, and leave by the contractor's entrance. Normally there's never more than 2 people in line...
Puckdropper

OSH not only has enough checkout lines open but in one visit to an OSH store you'll get more employees asking if you need help than in three dozen visits to Hell Depot. They don't carry nearly as much off-beat hardware stuff since Sears bought them unfortunately, but as far as customer service goes they're light-years ahead of HD. They have some interesting sales too, like where they hand you a coupon good for so many dollars off anything if you spend a certain amount, we went back three times one weekend because they kept giving us more coupons and we kept finding stuff we would have eventually bought anyway, a replacement for our ancient falling-apart wheelbarrow, a really cool Craftsman barstool for in front of my workbench, tools I needed (or at least wanted). Why HD keeps making noises about improving their service but can't seem to deliver on the ground is beyond me, I like wandering around looking at products, but when it comes to getting help or actually buying the stuff it's such a pain in the ass I'll go anywhere else first.

Huh, can't say I've noticed much of a difference beyond a less cluttered and dusty atmosphere at Lowes. I try to avoid the big-box stores if I can and since we have an old family-run hardware store close by I can usually get what I need there. The spam thing was based on a recent discussion in an anti-spam forum where people posted about their futile efforts to get off Lowes' spam list, glad to hear you haven't had the same experience.
Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 9:03pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (FrozenNorth) doth proclaimeth: Their first three stores open tomorrow, one isn't too far away from me, they have some opening specials on Kobalt tools that look too good to be true. I gather that is a house brand, are they any good?
Damn, thought CPT Picard ahad slowed the Borg down. Guess not.
I shop Lowes on a semi-regular basis. I consider it much superior to Home Depot - I don't shop HD at all.
FrozenNorth wrote:

They are serviceable. I've got a few, including a ratchet I keep in the shaper toolbox. Certainly at least an order of magnitude better than the tools you would get in a cheap "110 tools set!" type of package.

"FrozenNorth" wrote

Hand tools, wrenches, pliers, etc. - middle of the road and serviceable.
Power tools - chinese Crap, but a cut or two above Harbor Fright.
IME ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/10/07