Re: looking for a dado blade any sugesstions?

a forest or a freud are very good amana is good too it matter how much your willing to spend. some here have reported the harbor freight is not bad (very cheap)I have the freud dial a dado it works great. I have had a craftsman (pure junk) there have been quite a few threads on the wreck this year. look to goggle .

Len

Reply to
leonard

Um.... Your message? Am I missing sumthin'? I have a freud dial dado (SD608) and cuts absolutely smooth and is easy to tweak. Search - I think that there was a post saying the HF dado was actually a pretty good blade - someone did some test cuts and posted pics...

FWIW...

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

After much thought, research, soul searching and coin flipping I just ordered the Avenger 8 inch from Amazon. I talked with the Avenger company, read the reviews and talked to some users. It will be in next week and I will let you guys know. It features the smaller chipper, C4 carbide and a shim set in a wooden box. For $80 it seemed like a deal. max

Reply to
max

I looked at the dial a dado blade when I bought mine but it doesn't look like it'll work on my left tilt saw. The adjustment side would be on the inside of the arbor and wouldn't fit right. Something to think about if you have a left tilt.

Reply to
Ron Short

Are you sure the adjustment is not reversible? On the Craftsman Excalibur it is.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My Freud dial a dado came with instructions that describe how to reconfigure it for a left tilt. You have to unscrew stuff and put the adjuster mechanism on the other side. I have no idea if it works since I have a right tilt saw.

I would strongly recommend the Freud, it really does a nice job and the dial adjustment is really useful. One tip that I picked up after I bought the 8" model though was to get a 6" which is a bit cheaper and means that there is less mass whacking about and hence less chance of kickback (maybe). Short of making tennons on 8x8" beams I can't think of a use I would have for any more dado, but then again someone may.

All the quality dados have an edge profile with slightly raised 'horns' at either side. One theory is that this is to do with giving glue a place to escape, another that it helps pre-score veneer plywood. Either way, if you dislike that profile you can probably get the tips ground flat somewhere.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

[snip]

I have the Freud 8" dial type and a PM66 which is a left tilt. I followed the instructions to switch the dado and it was simple. Slam dunk. No brainer. Slickern' deer guts on a doorknob. Works great, less filling. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn