Re: leveling table

Turn the table 180 degrees. If the does not fix it, Put a piece 60 grit sand paper under the long leg and slide the table back and forth until the problem is gone.

I have a four legged end table that rocks. Is there an easy way to even out > the legs to make the table stable? > > Bob Heveri > >
Reply to
Leon

And if that doesn't work, fold the 60X and leave it under the short leg.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
Leon

Buy a set of stick-on felt pads at the local franchise hardware store. Use as needed.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I just read about this in a wonderful book called Hand Tools, their ways and workings, by Aldren A. Watson. (W.W.Norton, NY).

More likely it is an unlevel floor rather than out of sync legs. He suggests putting a dowel in the leg, but not gluing it in. Instead, you roll a piece of paper around the dowel so you can remove it if you change the real estate under the table.

Have no idea how practical this is to do, but I do recommend the book.

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

Please be cautious using Leon's advice. I posed the same question to him a year ago. He said we could talk about it over dinner. I met him (along with his wife and 17 kids) at Pappasitos (upscale eatery in Houston.) They all porked out - Leon drank his arse off - and to finally answer my question (as I picked up the tab) he handed me a pack of matches as we left. "Use these under the shortest leg!" LOL!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Other than napkins ???

You will need a wading pool.

Put about 2" of water in pool.

Set table in water.

Mark the exact spot the water stops on each leg.

Get out the saw.

Table legs made from MDF should not be used in this manner.

Bob Heveri wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I hope you are joking.

On the off chance that someone might take this seriously, it should be pointed out that, unless the wading pool is on a surface that is absolutely flat and level, this method is of no value whatever.

Doug Miller

I think if you cut that leg a man is MORE likely to wobble a bit. At least until the pain goes away.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I was kidding but the method is rock solid... I have seen this "method" printed several times in woodworking and carpentry books.

Water will "always" be level no matter what surface the pool is sitting on. The "water level" goes back to the boys that built those funny looking building about 5,000 years ago in that place called Egypt.

can still buy a "water level" at any home center.

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

  1. Buy some leg levelers and install them.

  1. Put some kind of shim under the offending leg.

  2. Use a laser level...and cut a piece from the longer 3 legs.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

No matter WHAT his goal, his table may not be level when he gets done. But it may indeed by stable.

The specific plane determined by the 4 points doesn't need to be 'level'.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

The obvious solution is to remove one leg. Milking stools never rock.

Phil

Bob Heveri wrote:

Reply to
PC

Take a perfectly level table and use your "pool method" on a driveway with a 30 degree slant. The table top will sit parallel to the driveway. The water will be level. Cut the legs at the waterline and you have a table top with a 30 degree slope.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Sure your dishes will slide off, but it WILL NOT wobble on a flat surface. The real trick here is to unslant your driveway first. This often requires large machinery.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

One LONG one?...or one SHORT one? lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

And this would be where that whole spin-the-table-180-degrees thing comes in, right?

Michael "Mr. Geometry" Baglio Chapel Hill

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Tue, Jul 29, 2003, 8:54am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (Unisaw=A0A100) says: And if that doesn't work, fold the 60X and leave it under the short leg.

I heard of an editor that had a desk like that, except his was so bad, had to put something under all four legs.

JOAT Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football.

- Lu-Tze

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Well...if yer talkin' about THIS thread...nowhere did the OP say any of the legs were the same length.

It was fun bantering with you, Dougie...but now I'm startin' to feel guilty. So I've gotta ask ya...

Did you ever go to high school...yet? If so, did you take geometry? If so, did you get near a passing grade? Did you study the chapter on how many points determine a plane?...and how many determine a specific plane?

If you indeed did go to high school, try to review the above subject. Then read again what you just wrote.

You might even try an experiment. I can tell you now how your hypothesis might not work...but you should find out for yourself. It'll stick with you longer.

Good luck, Dougie kid.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©