RE: Least We Not Forget

Page 2 of 3

KENDALL SEYBERT wrote:

Without question.
Each generation faces it's own set of problems and somehow gets the job done.
Reight now, it's not the kids but the leadership that is in doubt.
Lew
KENDALL SEYBERT (in dt1mf.5905$Yh2.5326@trndny01) said:
| Amen, guys; there were once giants on the earth, and they were of | that generation. My father was drafted in '39 and was in it until | '45; those men and women literally did the impossible. I wonder if | our present generation would have the fortitude....
I don't think I'd be taking anything away from the vets of any previous generation if I said that there are still those kinds of giants.
It's just that as we've gotten older, those giants have come to look more and more like our kids.
The world has changed - idealism, determination, and courage have not.
Amen..
said:

Absolutely, today's generation could do it IF the government bureaucracy and tree huggers would let them do their job.
Leon said:

Uh... Tree Huggers? No to be difficult Leon, but what on earth do environmentalists have to do with war?! <g>
<Stealth OT>
If anything, the "Tree Huggers" have been amazingly quiet about the 405 tons of depleted uranium projectiles we have sprayed on Iraq and Serbia/Kosovo/ Yugoslavia over the past 15 years. Having a half-life of about 4.5 million years, the use of DU rounds has resulted in a minimum 400% increase in bizarre birth defects in Iraqi civilians, and an estimated 65% rate of birth defects among exposed Gulf War Veterans. Even the Pentagon's director of the DU project, Doug Rokke, resigned over the use of DU as a military weapon, stating that its use was a crime against humanity. This is one reason some Iraqis are so pissed off, the other being that many are fanatical lunatics - Gee, I wonder why? We've dumped about 395 tons of this stuff on Iraq alone.
This doesn't, however, detract from the bravery and determination of those who do the job they are ordered to perform - when they are allowed, and equipped, to do it. The Bureaucracy remains the problem.
------------- Depleted uranium (DU) or uranium-238 is made from uranium hexaflouride which is the non-fissionable by-product of the uranium enrichment process used to obtain uranium-235 for reactor fuel and nuclear bombs.
Depleted Uranium projectiles are used as tank and bunker piercing rounds due to their super-high density and ability to cut through armoured objects like warmed butter.. -------------
So, shoot the messenger...
FWIW,
Greg G.

I was being extremely general there. I see the personality of that group as the same as many other groups. Like the Dip Ship 1999.44.49.110 that likes to quote casualties and do nothing to help.
Leon said:

Never stereotype... <g> But I wholeheartedly agree with you concerning Mr. Fake IP address.
Greg G.
Followups set too: alt.current-events.iraq Greg G. wrote:

I'd like to see where these rates were estimated. How did you find them?
--

FF

The Iraqi's are pissed off over DU? At who?
No, Lil' Greggie is.
Neat facts. None of which even have any test results to prove them except Google.
405 tons....You cite several countries and conflicts, mostly of the Clinton era. 395 tons in Iraq...When? Before or after 1993? Or is this just another Google disinformation instance. Cite your sources and then folks can judge the validity of the research.
Why didn't we see an increase in those health effects in those other countries that you stated?
Exactly what was stated as fact that you responded to. Rokke? Has anyone looked into his agenda? How long has DU actually been deployed and by whom?
Some of you little happy hearts are going to be sadly disappointed in the near future of this country. The fact that many are getting sick of hearing about your media mixing the truth all the time. All your hand wringing is coming back to haunt you. Your statements are in writing.
For someone like you to extole the bravery and determination of those that do the job is laughable. You put conditions of allowed and equipped. You, I hope are referring to previous administrations that removed their ability to do so.
No, you are not.
You are just another little pussy that can't handle the fact that again , we as the United States of America, need to sacrifice American lives to protect the future of the world for those that seek freedom.
Piss on you!

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:48:17 -0800, Schuster wrote:

I'm already disappointed. Mostly at folks like you. If King Geoge, Ayatollah Ashcroft, and Reichsfuhrer Rumsfeldt get their way, you'll be in heaven and the rest of us will be in concentration camps.
Yes, I'm resorting to hyperbole. That appears to be your favorite language.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind, but you'll have to rebuild the respect for the men and women in the leadership positions first. Now they're looking at as just a bunch of self-serving money-grabbing corporation-sucking bastards..... which they are. I think war should be left to the military, not preppy sons of oil barons. How the hell can you get fire in your belly when the role-models on top have only worn a uniform to play-act for a photo-op? Or, for that matter, sold out to a ketchup heiress?
Kids are smarter than that these days, they see right through the bullshit. It makes the difference between following an order because you have to and following an order because you want to.
I lost family on that day. You may have too. It's a shame they had to die to wake up FDR to the realities of the world.
Yet you fail to see the similarities...
Damned shame that your attitude, if continually prevelant, will kill many more American servicemen.
Not to mention the fact that more died on 9/11/01 than died on 12/7/41.

Many fine responses. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but shouldn't it be "Least we forget". Seems to me 'least we not forget' is a double negative saying we should forget. Kind of like 'I ain't got none".
Mike in Arkansas said:

Noticed that as well - but didn't want to make an issue of it... <g>
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

    j4

Thats it. the original doesn't make any sense at all. "Lest we forget" translated into colloquial English is simply "So that we don't forget".
In Australia there are service men and women's clubs in almost every town called RSLs Every evening in every one the lights are dimmed and these words are heard over the loudspeaker.
At the going down of the sun And in the morning We shall remember them Lest we forget.
Everyone stands and faces the eternal flame in silence, all activity stops out of respect to the fallen.
Mekon
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:51:16 +0000, Mekon wrote:

Hats off to the Aussies. They've got it right.
I guess there were a few of us. No one wanted to play net cop.

Probably "lest we forget" would be the best.