Re-laying Oak floor boards question.

Hi all

In the next month or so I am going to lift the foor boards in the lounge and straighten the edges and then re-lay them.

My question is this would you do it any other way?

I'm planning to take each floorboard Screw a straight edge on to the back of the floorboard and then run a router up against the straight edge to give me a nice edge. Then working from the other side of the straight edge I will straighten up the other edge.

This will enable me to screw the straight edge onto the board whilst working on it and when it's removed the holes will be on the underside of the board.

Any suggestions on making sure that the following board is the same width would be welcome. I'm currently planning to measure and use the straight edge technique on all boards. Is there a better way?

Here's a link to a picture for you to see the type of problem I have.

The largest part of the gap is about 1 inch

Many thanks for any replys.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Noakes

Do you have a table saw? After you straighten one edge, you can rip all the boards to equal width on the TS.

Reply to
Josh

Not at the moment, but I'm prepared to buy one if I need to.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Noakes

Any tool that will index one side from the other would work. That includes table saws, planers, drum sanders, etc. However, you would either have to do all boards at one time or set up the tool and not change it until all were done if you were doing a few at a time.

You could also do it with a hand router with a bearing bit and a template of the desired width.

Keep in mind that commercial, solid wood floor boards do *NOT* touch adjacent boards except for a small area at the tops; i.e., the edges are not perpendicular to the faces.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Why is that?

Reply to
Locutus

Fantastic tips

thank you for that

Mart> > Hi all

Reply to
Martin Noakes

Wouldn't you have to mill all the T&G after that?

Reply to
Larry Bud

To cope with expansion of the board if they get more humid.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel